[amnesia-news] version 0.7

Author: news
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [amnesia-news] version 0.7
The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.7, is out. It is built on top of [Debian Squeeze][1].

# Changes

Notable changes include:

* Tor 0.2.1.30

* Protecting against memory recovery: new, safer way to wipe memory on shutdown which is now also used when the boot media is physically removed.

* Hardware support

    * printers: install more printer drivers, allow the default user to manage more kinds of printers
    * 3G: support mobile broadband devices such as 3G USB dongles
    * wireless: install Atheros and Broadcom firmwares
    * scanner and multi-function peripherals: better support

* Iceweasel

    * install the HTTPS Everywhere extension
    * many Anonymity Set preservation enhancements, mostly inspired by the Tor Browser Bundle configuration
    * support FTP, thanks to FoxyProxy

* Other software

    * user-friendly encryption support: install gnome-disk-utility (Palimpsest) and Seahorse plugins
    * add opt-in i2p support with Iceweasel integration through FoxyProxy
    * optionally install TrueCrypt at boot time to allow users of the (old and now unsupported) _Incognito_ live system to access the data on previously created media; this is _not_ meant to be used to create new TrueCrypt media ([more information][2])
    * make better use of battery-powered hardware
    * replace xsane with simple-scan which is part of GNOME and way easier to use
    * install scribus-ng instead of scribus: more features, less bugs

* Firewall

    * drop incoming packets by default
    * [forbid queries to DNS resolvers on the LAN][3]
    * set output policy to drop (defense-in-depth)

* Miscellaneous

    * fromiso= bugfixes
    * configure keyboard layout accordingly to the chosen language for Italian and Portuguese
    * more robust HTP time synchronization wrt. network failures; display the logs when the clock synchronization fails
    * disable automatic media mounting and opening to protect against a class of attacks that was recently put under the spotlights
    * GnuPG: default to stronger digest algorithms

Plus the usual bunch of minor bug reports and improvements.

See the [online Changelog][4] for technical details.

# I want to try it!

[Download it, seed it!][5]

# Can I use it on a pre-Intel Mac computer?

Tails images with _i386_ in their name work on the Intel x86 architecture only. However, we've been working towards releasing a Tails image suitable for the pre-Intel Macs hardware (PowerPC architecture). Stay tuned, it will be prepared and made available soonish.

# A glimpse towards the future

Were do we go from here? Have a look to our [roadmap][6] to see where we are heading to.

Would you want to help? As explained in our brand new ["how to contribute" documentation][7], here are many ways **you** can contribute to Tails: no need to be a hardcore developer.

[1]: http://www.debian.org/
[2]: https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/truecrypt/index.en.html
[3]: https://tails.boum.org/news/../todo/forbid_lan_dns_queries/
[4]: http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog;hb=refs/tags/0.7