Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] GSoC application: tails-greeter

Author: M
To: intrigeri
CC: Damian Johnson, Tor Assistants, tech, The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list, Peter Eckersley
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] GSoC application: tails-greeter
02.04.2011 16:09, intrigeri пишет:

> I must admit I don't really know what the DM's job is in Tails
> context, so I fail to see what parts shall be rewritten:
>
>   - we don't need remote login (XDMCP et al.)
>   - we don't need multi-user support
>   - we don't need user/password input or authentication/PAM support
>     either, only automated login.

> I therefore have the vague feeling Tails actually does not need any DM
> at all, hence the "no DM, only a tails-greeter X application"
> proposal. So... what would be the job accomplished by a DM (whichever
> it is) in Tails?

At the very least - to start xorg, pulseaudio and bunch of programs for user session,
set bunch of env variables, maybe handle accesibility.
Anyway - custom app (a.k.a "crippled dm" :) will have to do exactly the same as
tails-greeter plus something: thus it will be definitely bigger and harder to
maintain. Not worth trying in my opinion: port tails-greeter to changes in
dm<->greeter interface will be rare and easy task, maintaining "crippled dm" - is a
constant pain.

Overall - I've updated my proposal with subtasks, detailed schedule and some design
decisions.

Later on this update shall be moved to wiki page(s).

please take a look,
Max.