Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Metadata Anonymizing Toolkit for file Publ…

Author: intrigeri
To: Antonio Davoli
CC: Damian Johnson, Tor Assistants, The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list, tech
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Metadata Anonymizing Toolkit for file Publication - GSoC'11 Proposal
Hi Antonio and other involved folks!

Antonio Davoli wrote (06 Apr 2011 09:01:18 GMT) :
>> > RTF, The file in RTF format will be manage through the library
>> > librtf (http://sourceforge.net/projects/librtf/).
>>
>> Seems like this lib:
>>
>> * has been unmaintained since 2006
>> * lacks a Python binding
>> * is not part of Debian
>>
>> => I doubt it is a sound choice.
>>

> I am thinking to write a little library in Python to manage this
> file because I have not found something interesting. What do you
> think about?

If this does not eat too much time, and seems to be the best solution,
why not. I'd rather you not spend too much time on RTF support,
though.

Python libraries that claim some kind of RTF support are:

* calibre (available in Debian Squeeze)
* python-pyth (available in Debian testing)

Those might be valid candidates for adding meta-data read/write
support.

> As you said the Python Wrapper is not useful, even with the RFP.
> What do you think about interacting directly with ffmpeg library
> (without wrappers) ?

No idea. I'll let you suggest what is the way to go in your opinion.

Have you considered using Hachoir? It pretends to support a great
bunch of file formats, including a few video containers. References:

* https://bitbucket.org/haypo/hachoir/wiki/Home
* http://pypi.python.org/pypi/hachoir-parser/

> Great hint, I agree with you and I changed the schedule. You can
> find another version of the proposal in this mail.

Thanks. Make sure you update your proposal on the GSoC webapp too at
some point.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>