Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] RC1

Author: intrigeri
To: marcoc
CC: The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] RC1
Hi,

(Marco, shall I go on Cc'ing you or do you read the list?)

Marco A. Calamari wrote (24 Mar 2011 10:56:19 GMT) :
> I wonder if a couple of usability problems I still see
> are real or if I'm simply missing something.

> 1) Keyboard layout switching; using a foreign language
> from the boot menu cause in the user the idea that
> also the keyboard layout will be right
> In fact he need to go in the panel, install the right layout
> and switch to it with the upper bar icon that appears.
> It will be possible to do this automatically, or at least
> preinstall most common layout to shorten the sequence
> of operation to be done manually?

You hit a bug. I fixed this for Italian and Portuguese in the devel
branch (commit 34b4ea9) and cherry-picked the fix into the testing
one.

Can anyone with some Arabic skills try booting the RC1 in Arabic and
tell us if it does the Right Thing™ by default? If it doesn't, does
adding "keyboard-layouts=ar" to the kernel command line in the
bootloader menu help?

> 2) most 3G USB dongle are not recognized because of
> the lack of usb-modeswitch installed; it would be
> worthwhile put it in the final release?

I added modemmanager and usb-modeswitch to the devel branch's packages
list (commits: bea6492, df04273).

I'm quite reluctant applying these changes to the testing branch (that
will soon become 0.7): doing this at this time of the release process
would be borderline wrt. our freeze rules. I fear it could break
unrelated parts and I would hardly dare releasing a 0.7 ISO with such
a change without publishing a 0.7-rc2 beforehand.

What do other think? Tell me these packages are included in a default
Debian desktop install and I'll shut up.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>