[movimenti.bicocca] Searching for the Just City

Author: tommaso.vitale
To: movimenti.bicocca@autistici.org
Subject: [movimenti.bicocca] Searching for the Just City
(The usual apologies.)Folks,A new book, touching on some key and
controversial issues in planning practice and planning theory, We think its a contribution to discussions of planning theory, utopias, ethics,
day-to-day problems of justice, social movements, environmental justice, urban sociology, and the future of cities.___Searching for the Just
City__, Routledge, 2009. Table of Contents below. Edited by Peter Marcuse, James Connolly, Johannes Novy, Ingrid Olivo, Cuz Potter, Justin Steilhttp://www.routledge.com/books/Searching-for-the-Just-City-isbn9780415776134 Table
of Contents---------------------------------------AcknowledgmentsPrefaceby Peter MarcuseIntroduction: Finding Justice in the
Cityby James Connolly and Justin SteilSECTION 1: Why Justice? Theoretical Foundations of the Just City DebatePlanning and the Just
Cityby Susan S. FainsteinThe Right to the Just Cityby David Harvey, edited by Cuz PotterDiscursive Planning: Social Justice as
Discourseby Frank FischerJustice and the Spatial Imaginationby Mustafa DikeçSECTION 2: What are the Limits of the Just City?
Expanding the DebateFrom Justice Planning to Commons Planningby Peter MarcuseAs Just as it Gets? The
European City in the Just City Discourseby Johannes Novy and Margit MayerUrban Justice and Recognition: Affirmation and Hostility in Beer
Shevaby Oren Yiftachel, Ravit Goldhaber, and Roy NurielOn Globalization, Competition and Economic Justice in Citiesby James
DeFilippisSECTION 3: How Do We Realize Just Cities? Moving from Debate to ActionKeeping Counterpublics Alive in Planningby Laura
Wolf-PowersCan The Just City Be Built From Below? Brownfields, Planning and Power in the South Bronxby Justin Steil and James
ConnollyFighting for Just Cities in Capitalism's Peripheryby Erminia Maricato, translation Bruno Graca Lobo and Karina LeitãoRace in New
Orleans Since Katrinaby J. Phillip ThompsonConclusionby Cuz Potter and Johannes NovyPostscript: Beyond the Just City to the Right
to the Cityby Peter MarcuseComments (thus far!) have been very favorable:"Reading The Just City, one becomes aware that urban
scholarship has been inexorably leading towards a book exactly like this one for a long time. These essays synthesize the debates that engaged us in
our studies of the 20th-century city, and chart out the intellectual path we will be taking in the 21st."-- /Dennis R. Judd, University of
Illinois at Chicago/"Here at last are essays for our times. With the collapse of the neo-liberal order, we must rethink how we can construct a
new life in cities around the world, a life based on conceptions of social justice. The essays in this volume are not only state of the art, but are
written with passion, providing examples to stir the embers of belief that we can build a better world."-- /John Friedmann, Prof. emeritus
UCLA, Hon. Professor, University of British Columbia/"Cities were where the division of labour began. Then planned cities housed the ordered
life of bourgeois commerce but excluded generations of women, poor people and migrants from the benefits of urban living. The idealised city was not
the just city. Today, difference is recognised in urban discourses but a widening gap separates those who gain from a city’s opportunities and those
who are disenfranchised on a global scale. Given an urgent need to understand how urban justice can be produced, this book is timely. It brings
together some of the most accomplished commentators in the field. The writing is always incisive, ranging from philosophical discussion to examination
of tensions in planning debates and case studies. The book offers a coherent approach without masking complexities, and should be required reading for
anyone involved in urban studies, planning and governance."-- /Malcolm Miles, Professor of Cultural Theory, University of Plymouth,
UK/"The editors have assembled a thought provoking collection of theoretical and empirical essays that offer a broad introduction to the Just
City movement of planners and urbanists. Its editors and contributors take us through a comprehensive analysis of the relationships between justice
and the lived urban environment."-- /Herbert J Gans, author, IMAGINING AMERICA IN 2033. Robert S Lynd Prof. Emeritus of Sociology, Columbia
University/--------------------------------If interested, ask your library to order (it's expensive; depending on orders, will be a
paperback, which we're pushing for).Library recommendation forms and a promotional flyer can be downloaded here:http:/www.cuzproduces.com//downloads/justcityOffers of reviews (directly to publisher,
preferably through journal) more than welcome.Thanks.Peter-----------Peter Marcuse                    Professor of Urban Planning Emeritus                                 School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation          Columbia
UniversityNew York, N>Y. 10027212 – 854 3322 Home: 140 Greenwood Avenue Waterbury, CT 06704203 753
1140-- ----------------------------------------Tommaso VitaleDipartimento di
Sociologia e della Ricerca SocialeUniversità di Milano Bicoccavia Bicocca degli Arcimboldi, 820126 Milanotel: ++39.02
6448 7477 skype: tomvitaPapers and pre-prints:http://homepage.mac.com/tommaso.vitale/New
book: www.carocci.it/politichepossibiliNew issue of the Scientific Journal "Partecipazione e
conflitto":http://www.francoangeli.it/Riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=152