[movimenti.bicocca] Petition for Iranian democracy

Author: annalisa.frisina
To: movimenti.bicocca
Subject: [movimenti.bicocca] Petition for Iranian democracy
Saluti a tutte/i,
Annalisa
-------------------------- Messaggio originale ---------------------------
Oggetto: Petition for Iranian democracy
Da:      "Nader Hashemi" <nhashemi@???>
Data:    Mar, 16 Giugno 2009 12:11 am

PLEASE SIGN AND CIRCULATE THIS LETTER (see attachment or below)

To add your signature, please send an email to Roja Fazaeli (Trinity
College):
roja.fazaeli@???

June 14, 2009

We, the undersigned write in support of the Iranian people who seek justice
in the face of
the results of this recent election (12th June, 2009), which has granted Mr.
Ahmadinejad a
landslide victory over his rival candidates.

As academics concerned about the current situation within Iran, we, the
undersigned,
express our deepest concerns at the escalation of violence in Iran, in
particular within the
universities. While we support the actions of our colleagues who have
stepped down from
their posts in universities to protest the fraudulent result of these
elections, such as the
colleagues from Sharif and Tehran Universities in Tehran, we worry about the
safety of
university staff and students. On the eve of June 13th 2009, the dormitories
at Tehran
University and Shiraz University were reportedly attacked, hundreds of
students have
been arrested and several are reported dead.

We wish to express our support to the protestors and affirm that the violent
repression
with which they are met undermines the basis of electoralism and the rule of
law.

1. Roja Fazaeli, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
2. Mirjam Künkler, Princeton University
3. Vinodh Jaichand, Irish Centre for Human Rights, National University of
Ireland
4. Peter Admirand, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
5. Nader Hashemi, University of Denver