[Badgirlz-list] Bent Bars Project - prisoner penpal project

Author: Two girl's brains-list
To: bg
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] Bent Bars Project - prisoner penpal project

[NextGenderation]

BENT BARS PROJECT
a new pen pal project
linking queer / trans communities across prison walls

The Bent Bars Project is a newly forming letter writing program for
lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, gender-variant, intersex,
and queer prisoners in Britain. Part of the goal of the project is to
develop stronger connections and build solidarity between LGBT/queer/trans
communities outside prison and those inside prison walls. The project is in
early stages, but we also hope to collect and distribute information for
LGBT/queer/trans prisoners on harm reduction practices (safer sex, safer
drug-use), HIV and HepC prevention, homophobia, transphobia, coming out,
etc.

We are taking requests from LGBT/queer/trans people who are currently in
prison and would like a penpal. We are also looking for non-imprisoned and
formerly imprisoned LGBT/queer/trans people who are interested in becoming
penpals. Becoming a penpal can give a person in prison vital emotional
support, help them be less vulnerable to violence, and assist them in
building networks and resources for when they are released. Time commitment
is whatever you want it to be – writing one letter a month would be
great.

For folks who can attend a meeting in London, come to:

BENT BARS COLLECTIVE -- 1st ORGANIZING MEETING
2-5pm Saturday 21 February 2009
GasWorks Studios, 155 Vauxhall St, London SE11 5RH
(nearest Tube Oval or Vauxhall )
MAP: http://www.gasworks.org.uk/file_uploads/gasworks_map.pdf
Venue is fully wheelchair accessible.

For more information or to get involved, contact Sam at:
Bent Bars Project
P.O. Box 74, Brighton, BN1 4ZQ
bent.bars.project@???