[Badgirlz-list] The Decision to Close Down Lambdaistanbul wa…

Author: Two girl's brains-list
To: bg, Helena info
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] The Decision to Close Down Lambdaistanbul was Overturned !

The Decision to Close Down Lambdaistanbul was Overturned !

Our process towards becoming an official association that started in May
2006 was carried to the court due to Istanbul Governor’s Office’s
decision that our name and our constitution is against the law, morality
and Turkish family values. We survived six hearings, and Istanbul 3rd
Principle Court has decided to close us down despite the expert opinion
supporting us. Today, our case was heard at the Supreme Court of Appeals.
As witnesses to a late-arriving justice we shout out that our organizing is
not immoral.

True, justice arrived quite late. A similar criminal complaint was filed
against our sibling associations in Ankara, Kaos GL and Pembe Hayat (Pink
Life), by Ankara Governor’s Office, claiming that they were against the
law, morality and Turkish family values. However, things worked out
differently in their case, and the local courts and prosecution office
decided not to close down these associations -a decision that is opposed to
the decision made by Istanbul 3rd Principle Court. How come there are two
opposing verdicts based on the same law?

We repeat: Decisions influenced by prejudices will remain inevitable, and
inequality, discrimination and intense human rights violations will prevail
as long as “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” are not added
to the equality clause of the constitution.

Yet finally, justice has arrived. We are stronger now with the overturn of
the decision to close down Lambdaistanbul LGBTT Solidarity Association. As
people who face violence, who get expelled from our jobs, who are excluded
and isolated, who are denied their legal rights, our voices will now
multiply; and as the LGBTT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transvestite,
transsexual) movement we will be louder when we shout out our right to
equality.

The Platform for LGBTT Rights

Izmir Transvestite and Transsexual Initiative

Kaos GL Association

Kaos GL izmir Formation

Lambdaistanbul LGBTT Solidarity Association

MorEL eskisehir LGBTT Formation

Pembe Hayat LGBTT Solidarity Association

Piramid LGBTT Diyarbakir Formation

Lambdaistanbul LGBTT Dayanisma Dernegi

Tel: +90 (0) 212 245 70 68
Istiklâl Caddesi, Katip Celebi Mah. Tel Sok. No: 28/6 Kat:5
Beyoglu - Istanbul
www.lambdaistanbul.org
lambda@???