[Badgirlz-list] Fwd: Announcing Freedom Summer of Code! [en]

Author: Errata
To: facklablist, badgirlz-list
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] Fwd: Announcing Freedom Summer of Code! [en]
     [NextGenderation]

(en) Riseup Labs is excited to announce the Freedom
Summer of Code! We
aim to advance critical movement technology projects
and tools that
benefit a wide-variety of radical social justice
organizations and
movements.

=================== english ===================

Announcing Freedom Summer of Code!
---------------------------------

As summer warms the northern hemisphere, hope washes
across our global
movements for social justice. When not out soaking up
the sun, we want
you to join Riseup Labs in our first Freedom Summer of
Code (FSoC)!
Help
produce the most cutting edge software for activism,
radical politics,
organizing, and breaking down capitalist inequities
once and for all.

This is an opportunity for real innovation, not just a
technology of
reproduction, but technologies of revolution. You know
that program you
always wanted or the change in an existing program?
The one every
activist would have, if only it existed? This summer
lets make it
real. By pooling our efforts during the Freedom
Summer of Code, we can
take back technology from the monolithic proprietary
soft-o-crats and
create real, lasting change.

What is the Freedom Summer of Code?
-----------------------------------

Modeled after the successful Google Summer of Code,
the Freedom Summer
of Code adds a radical social justice twist. We will
be working with
select tech activist organizations to generate
interesting ideas as
well
as help people develop several projects over the next
three months.

The [Freedom Summer of Code ->
https://we.riseup.net/fsoc] aims to
advance critical movement technology projects and
tools that benefit a
wide-variety of radical social justice organizations
and movements;
inspire developers to become more interested in
directly participating
in social-justice tech organizations; contributes
back, for the benefit
of all, to the free software world which sustains us
while
simultaneously honoring individualâ??s labor;
increases the social
ownership and democratic control over information,
ideas, technology,
and the means of communication; empowers organizations
and individuals
to use technology in struggles for liberation. We are
developing
software that is geared specifically to the needs of
network organizing
and democratic collaboration, providing new services
that greatly
enhance your security and privacy.

Consider this is a call-out!
----------------------------

To get started, think about how you would like to
participate.
Regardless of your technical skills, we need your help
and have
numerous
ways to plug into FSoC:

* We want your proposals, dream big! Submit any and
all politically
important technology project proposals for and by the
radical tech
community! Individuals, or organizations, can submit
ideas for what
they
would like to see done during FSoC. We will collect
these proposals and
put them online for potential programmers to check
out.

* Interested organizations should sign up: we want
your organization to
join FSoC, to not just submit project ideas, but also
be an
organizational contact person who can act as a
facilitator if your
project/organization is chosen.

* Do you want to participate? Come apply to the
program, submit an
individual project proposal, and when the time comes,
you can pick
projects that you are interested in working on.

* We also need facilitators, you are encouraged to
apply to help
individual participants through the process.

To learn about what kinds of things we are looking
for, how to submit a
proposal, to sign up as participating
organization/facilitator or to
apply as a participant in the first FSoC, come visit
the [Freedom
Summer
of Code site -> https://we.riseup.net/fsoc].

How will this all work?
-----------------------

We are taking proposals and applications until May
24th. Project
decisions will be made by June 1st, and people will
start coding. At
the
end of June and July facilitators will check in on
those people working
on them to make sure things are going well. After 3
months of freedom,
at the beginning of September, projects will come to a
close and we
will
do a final evaluation of the results.

For full details, see the program
[timeline->https://we.riseup.net/fsoc/timeline]

Riseup Labs received a donation to make the Freedom
Summer of Code a
reality. We will use this funding as fairly as we know
how. Offering
assistance to our coders and organizatiowhere need is
greatest or when
projects warrant. Hopefully we will receive
additional sponsorship as
we want to offer meaningful and well deserved stipends
to all of our
participants.

Details on selection criteria and prizes to follow.

Sponsorship
-----------

We want to help develop the best projects, it is our
hope that we can
provide modest compensation to complete specific work.
This can only
happen if you are able to help us make it happen. We
need your help to
offset the costs of living of the participants
involved in FSoC. Riseup
Labs is able to accept US tax deductible donations as
a 501c3
charitable
non-profit. If you live in the US, this means that the
more you give to
Riseup Labs, the less you will be giving to military
conquest. How can
you pass that up? Not only that, but if you work for a
corporation that
provides matching funds for charitable donations, we
can do those too.
Now thats revolution from within!

Organizations who would like to become co-sponsors of
FSoC with Riseup
Labs can do so by offering donations (of time, labor,
money etc) to
help
us with the work and help us enable more coders.

With your help, another technology is possible. Join
the Freedom
Summer
of Code now!

Please make donations to:

Riseup Labs
PO Box 4282
Seattle, WA 98194
http://riseuplabs.org/donate

About us
--------

For seven years, Riseup has provided secure,
movement-run services to
hundreds of thousands of folks and organizations. We
feel that in an
era
of automated mass surveillance, it is a deeply radical
act to provide
secure alternatives to the corporate controlled
internet Although we
still have a lot of work to do to improve reliability
and expand
capacity, lately we have become limited by the
available tools. This is
where the FSoC comes into play.

The Freedom Summer of Code is an effort of Riseup
Labs, the research
arm
of the Riseup Collective.

Be a better friend, newshound, and