[Badgirlz-list] Unexpected Police "Visit" to Lambdaistanbul …

Author: Errata
To: l38squatter, badgirlz-list
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] Unexpected Police "Visit" to Lambdaistanbul Cultural Center
[NextGenderation]

*Unexpected Police "Visit" to Lambdaistanbul Cultural
Center*

On 7 April 2008, during the afternoon around 5.30pm, a
group of more
than 12
plainclothes police came to the Lambdaistanbul
Cultural Center with a
search
warrant. The policemen were reluctant to let the
Lambda members present
at
the center to read the full text of the warrant, and
they did not give
satisfactory answers to members' questions on the
subject.

The officers remained in the center for approximately
two hours, during
which time they examined the premises and all
materials in the office,
and
also collected the identity cards of everyone who
entered the center.
At the
end of their search they were not able to find
evidence of a criminal
offence; however, they took with them some important
documents
regarding
Lambda's financial and membership systems.

The next day, Lambda's lawyer discovered that an
accusation had been
lodged
against the association for participating in illegal
prostitution
activities, procuring transgender sex workers and
sharing their
earnings.
Lambda has been informed that the police have been
observing the
cultural
center and had taken note of frequent visits by
transgender people.
According to the public prosecutor, this was proof
enough to issue a
search
warrant.

Lambda intends to seek legal action following the raid
and we are
currently
consulting with our lawyers to decide the best way to
proceed.

By a strange coincidence, our friends at Labrys in
Kyrgyzstan were also
raided by the police on the same day under the pretext
of illegal
prostitution activity, and were also forced to submit
various papers.
We are
very proud and impressed by them for having the
presence of mind to
document
the police's actions with video cameras, and we wish
them the best of
success as they prepare a response to this event.

Lambdaistanbul is also currently involved in a court
case over the
association's right to apply for official status as an
organization,
following a complaint by the city governorship that
Lambda should be
closed
down as the group is a threat to Turkish family values
and public
decency.
Our fifth hearing will be held on April 17. We are
hoping that this
case
will be ruled in our favor but are prepared to appeal
to the European
Court
of Human Rights if necessary.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you
for your ongoing
support. Your messages of solidarity mean a lot to us.

Wishing you peace and success in your own efforts,

Lambdaistanbul LGBT Solidarity Association

More information on Lambdaistanbul can be found at:
http://www.lambdaistanbul.org/php/lambda.php?key=informatio<http://php/lambda.php?key=informatio>

More information about Labrys Kyrgyzstan can be found
at:
http://kyrgyzlabrys.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/surprise-militia-visit-to-community-centre-causes-public-stir/

*Lambdaistanbul LGBTT Dayanisma Dernegi*

Tel: +90 (0) 212 245 70 68
Istiklâl Caddesi, Katip Celebi Mah. Tel Sok. No: 28/6
Kat:5
Beyoglu - Istanbul
www.lambdaistanbul.org
lambda@???