[movimenti.bicocca] Launching Interface: a journal for and a…

Author: tommaso.vitale
To: movimenti.bicocca
Subject: [movimenti.bicocca] Launching Interface: a journal for and about social movements
Launching Interface:
a journal for and about social movements

We are proud to announce the launch of Interface, a new
global online journal dedicated to research carried out
from and for social movements by movement practitioners
and engaged academics alike. We are looking for articles
of all kinds as well as people interested in helping
create the journal at many different levels. This email
has some basic information, and more is available on our
website at www.interfacejournal.net.

Call for Papers: Issue 1, "Movement knowledge"

Interface is a new journal launched by activists and
academics around the world in response to the development
and increased visibility of social movements in the last
few years - and the immense amount of knowledge generated
in this process. This knowledge is created across the
globe, and in many contexts and a variety of ways, and it
constitutes an incredibly valuable resource for the
further development of social movements. Interface
responds to this need, as a tool to help our movements
learn from each other's struggles.

Interface is a forum bringing together activists from
different movements and different countries, researchers
working with movements, and progressive academics from
various countries to contribute to the production of
knowledge that can help us gain insights across movements
and issues, across continents and cultures, and across
theoretical and disciplinary traditions. To this end,
Interface seeks to develop analysis and knowledge that
allow lessons to be learned from specific movement
processes and experiences and translated into a form
useful for other movements. In doing so, our goal is to
include material that can be used in a range of ways by
movements in terms of its content, its language, its
purpose and its form.

We are currently seeking contributions to the first issue
of Interface and welcome contributions by movement
participants and academics who are developing
movement-relevant theory and research. The theme of this
first issue, which will be published on January 1st 2009,
is "movement knowledge": what we know, how we create
knowledge, what we do with it and how it can make a
difference either in movement struggles or in creating a
different and better world. We invite both formal research
(qualitative and quantitative) and practically-grounded
work on all aspects of social movements. We are seeking
work in a range of different formats, such as conventional
articles, review essays, facilitated discussions and
interviews, action notes, teaching notes, key documents
and analysis, book reviews and beyond.

In order to achieve this, research contributions will be
reviewed by both activist and academic peers, other
material will be sympathetically edited, and the editorial
process generally will be geared towards assisting authors
to find ways of expressing their understanding, so that we
all can be heard across geographical, social and political
distances. The deadline for contributions for the first
issue is September 1st 2008. Guidelines for contributors
and contact details are available on our webpage at
www.interfacejournal.net.

- - -
Dept. of Sociology, St. Anne's building,
NUI Maynooth, Co. Kildare
Tel. (+353-1) 708 3985
http://www.iol.ie/~mazzoldi/toolsforchange/