[movimenti.bicocca] Tilly: Trust Networks in Transnational M…

Author: Tommaso Vitale
To: ML movimenti Bicocca
Subject: [movimenti.bicocca] Tilly: Trust Networks in Transnational Migration
Trust Networks in Transnational Migration

Charles Tilly, Columbia University

The sheer volume of migrant remittances to relatively poor countries,
including those of Latin America and the Caribbean, nicely dramatizes
the genuinely transnational social ties created by long-distance
migration. The evidence underlines that migration flows are serious
business, not only for the individuals and families involved, but
also for whole national economies. Thinking about remittances also
allows us to identify some crucial social processes of which most
migrants and first-hand students of migration are well aware, but for
which we have neither well established theories, carefully crafted
concepts, nor extensive evidence. I mean the creation, use, and
transformation of interpersonal trust networks within migration streams.

Sociological Forum 22: 1: 3-24.