[Hackmeeting] FreeJ 0.9 codename KRAAKENGAATDOOR

Author: jaromil
To: hackers
CC: piksel, transmission-discuss, hackmeeting, freej
Subject: [Hackmeeting] FreeJ 0.9 codename KRAAKENGAATDOOR

annunciazio'! annunciazio'!

-=:[ dyne.org autoprod ]:=--- - -- - proudly presents:

                    _____                  _
                   |  ___| __ ___  ___    | |
                   | |_ | '__/ _ \/ _ \_  | |
                   |  _|| | |  __/  __/ |_| |
                   |_|  |_|  \___|\___|\___/

            [[[  version 0.9 "KRAAKENGAATDOOR"  ]]]

                    http://freej.dyne.org

          RASTA SOFTWARE FOR THE FREEDOM OF VIDEO CREATION

latest source: ftp://ftp.dyne.org/freej/releases/freej-0.9.tar.gz

:: OVERVIEW

FreeJ is a vision mixer: a digital instrument for realtime video
manipulation used in the fields of dance teather, veejaying, medical
visualisation and TV.

It runs a video engine in which multiple layers can be filtered thru
effect chains and then mixed together with images, movies, live
cameras, particle generators, text scrollers and scripted vector
graphics. All the resulting video mix can be shown on a screen,
encoded into a movie and streamed live to the internet.

FreeJ can be controlled locally or remotely, also from multiple places
at the same time, using its ascii console interface; operations can be
automated via javascript, also MIDI and Joystick controllers can be
scripted.

FreeJ's sourcecode is written in portable C and C++, it can run on
GNU/Linux and Darwin/OSX platforms, PC-x86 or Mac, and is released
free under the GNU General Public License.

:: NEWS in 0.9

Scriptable controllers: keyboard, midi, joystick
Major code cleanup to encoding and streaming
Debugging and optimization of scripting API
Internal audio bus now available to layers
Updated scripting documentation and examples
New Goom audio scope layer
Misc optimizations and bugfixes

:: FEATURES

++ reads and renders layers from multiple sources:
webcams, TV, divx/avi movies, images and txt files
++ can encode in Ogg/Theora video, recording on local file
and streaming live to an online Icecast server
++ can be controlled from remote: VJoE - VeeJay over Ethernet
++ can be scripted in procedural object oriented language
++ high precision looping of movie clips
++ plugin effects are chainable on each layer
++ very efficient video engine with multithreaded layers
++ Emacs/Vi style console with hotkeys and completion (S-Lang)
++ multiple controllers at the same time (Midi,Joystick)
++ 100% Free and open source: GNU General Public License

:: HISTORY

This software started being developed as a digital instrument Jaromil
used in dance-theater performances. Since 2001 ongoing development
took inspiration from various artists and programmers: Andreas
Schiffler, Roberto Paci Dalo', Tom Demeyer, Francescopaolo Isidoro,
Kentaro Fukuchi, Luigi Pagliarini, Isabella Bordoni, to name just a
few.

Set the VeeJay Free! was the first motto for this software.

In 2003 Kysucix joined development contributing the streaming feature
and helping to include the javascript parser. He employed FreeJ in
interactive installations while working with Studio Azzurro.

Since 2004 development has been supported by
the Netherlands Media Art Insitute

In 2005 Mr.Goil joined the project writing programmable controllers
and debugging the scripting environment.

For the time being, FreeJ is employed in various video performances and
installations, tv broadcasting, but also used for medical analisys
visualizations.

Developers are keen to accept projects and propositions in order to
sustain the development activity on this free software, please contact
us on http://dyne.org if you think we can collaborate.

:: GET STARTED

To start rolling with FreeJ you can have a look to the online
documentation on it website http://freej.dyne.org

:: REQUIREMENTS

To run FreeJ is necessary to have:

- - a working GNU/Linux workstation
or Darwin/OSX -> see the documentation in README.OSX

- - SDL libraries http://www.libsdl.org
- - PNG libraries http://www.libpng.org
- - S-LANG libraries http://www.s-lang.org
- - Ogg/Vorbis/Theora libraries http://www.xiph.org

:: HOW TO INSTALL IT

download a binary for your operating system from http://freej.org or
try dyne:bolic GNU/Linux http://dynebolic.org which includes it ready
to use from a liveCD which is also easy to install.

Debian GNU/Linux users can 'apt-get install freej',

Gentoo GNU/Linux users can 'emerge freej'

But if the package of your distribution is out of date you should
compile from source for the latest features.

:: DEVELOPERS

 Denis "Jaromil" Rojo        - FreeJ author and mantainer

Silvano "Kysucix" Galliani - TXT layer, encoder, streaming

Christoph "Mr.Goil" Rudorff - Scriptability, MIDI and Joystick

** documentation, testing and user case study by:

Anne-Marie Skriver, Marloes de Valk, Robert de Geuss,
Piotr Sobolewski, Alejo Duque

 ** people using FreeJ or developing free software video applications
    who contributed with ideas and code:

  Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma/@/ess.engr.uvic.ca>
    yuv2rgb c conversion code

  Andreas Schiffler <aschiffler/@/home.com>
    inspirations, experience and delaygrab filter

  Clifford Smith <nullset/@/dookie.net>
    transform filter from EffecTV

  Dries Pruimboom <dries/@/irssystems.nl>
    cartoon filter

  Edo Tannenbaum <et/@/et-arts.com>
    nervous filter from EffecTV

  Fukuchi Kentarou <fukuchi/@/is.titech.ac.jp>
    filters and code goodies from EffecTV

  Lluis Gomez I Bigorda <lgomez/@/pangea.org>
    zoom filter

  Leonid Andreev <lenonid/@/math.harvard.edu>
    feedback and bugfixes

  Olie Lho <ollie/@/sis.com.tw>
    yuv2rgb asm mmx optimized code

  Pete Warden
    backlight filter

*** THANKS TO ::

Federico and Tez .............. <http://submultimedia.tv>
Bergen Elektronic Kunst ....... <http://www.bek.no>
Bomboclat ..................... <http://autistici.org/bomboclat>
City of Judenburg ............. <http://www.judenburg.at>
Ecoteca Pescara ............... <http://www.ecoteca.org>
Erich Berger .................. <http://randomseed.org>
Florian Cramer ................ <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin>
Freaknet Medialab Catania ..... <http://freaknet.org>
Isabella Bordoni .............. <http://ib-arts.dyne.org>
LiquidMusic ................... <http://residence.aec.at/liquidmusic>
Ljudmila Medialab ............. <http://www.ljudmila.org>
LOA hacklab Milano ............ <http://ecn.org/loa>
Lobo .......................... <http://clavius.dyne.org>
Luigi Pagliarini .............. <http://www.aritificialia.com/luigi>
Megabug ....................... <http://autistici.org/megabug>
Roberto Paci Dalo' ............ <http://giardini.sm>
Servus.at ..................... <http://www.servus.at>
Sonar Festival ................ <http://www.sonar.es>

...and specialthanks to giuliagiu for the coffe! :)

refer to the AUTHORS file and sourcecode for a full list of
contributions, all statically included libraries are copyright by the
respective authors.

:: DISCUSSION

Come and visit the irc.dyne.org channel #dyne

A mailinglist for further discussion about FreeJ is running on
http://lists.dyne.org - come and join us there :)

:: DEVELOPMENT

The latest development version is publicly available on our subversion
repository:

# svn co svn://code.dyne.org/rastasoft/freej/trunk freej

Please download and run this code if you want to submit a bugreport or
a patch.

:: DISCLAIMER

This source code is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU Public License as published
by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License,
or (at your option) any later version.

This source code is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Please refer to the GNU Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Public License along with
this source code; if not, write to:
Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

- --
(_ http://jaromil.dyne.org _)