[Badgirlz-list] Pornography and Pop Culture: Reframing Theor…

Author: Errata
To: helena-info
CC: badgirlz-list
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] Pornography and Pop Culture: Reframing Theory, Re-thinking Activism

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
Pornography and Pop Culture: Reframing Theory,
Re-thinking Activism

March 23-25, 2007
Wheelock College
Boston

The so-called "porn wars" that were fought over the
feminist critique of
contemporary mass-marketed pornography derailed
important academic and activist
work. It is time to move on by reframing our thinking
on pornography, especially
in light of the important changes that have occurred
in both technology and pop
culture over the past two decades. In the world of the
internet, cell phone
porn, Howard Stern and "Girls Gone Wild," the central
insights of the critical
feminist perspective are more important than ever.
What was once called
soft-core pornography has become the norm in
mainstream pop culture, while
hard-core porn has become increasingly accepted and
increasingly misogynistic.
What do such economic and cultural shifts mean for
feminist theory and
activism, and how can we rebuild a vibrant feminist
movement that addresses the
harms of misogynist images that help define our
culture, our visual landscape
and our sexuality? These issues will be addressed at a
national conference on
March 23-25, 2007, at Wheelock College in Boston.
Titled "Pornography and Pop
Culture: Reframing Theory, Rethinking Activism," this
conference will (1)
feature recent feminist theory and research on
pornography, prostitution and
pop culture, and (2) provide space for collaborative
discussion on how we can
prepare the ground for building a broad-based,
energized and vibrant feminist
movement that can address the harms of pornographic
images in the context of a
more general political and cultural crisis.

For a full schedule and registration details, please
go to
http://www.wheelock.edu/ppc/

Gail Dines
Professor of Sociology and Women's Studies
Chair of American Studies
Wheelock College
35 Pilgrim Road
Boston, MA 02215
617-879-2336
gdines@???

Susan Sage Heinzelman
Associate Professor of English
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
1 University Drive
B5000
Austin, TX. 78712

512-471-4991 (Department #)
512-471-8736 (Direct #)
512-471-4909 (Fax)

Associate Director, Center for Women's and Gender
Studies
Walter Webb Hall, 401
Austin, TX. 78712
512-471-5765

President, Association for the Study of Law,
Culture, and Humanities
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lch/