[Hackmeeting] [(fwd): [Thk] thk 2.0 this summer?]

Author: bomboclat
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] [(fwd): [Thk] thk 2.0 this summer?]
----- Forwarded message from ivana <ivana@???> -----

Subject: [Thk] thk 2.0 this summer?
From: ivana <ivana@???>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:31:35 +0200
To: thk@???

hi people!

we (multimedia institute & monteparadiso hacklab) are organising a
hacker meeting in pula this summer. event will be supported by freedom
software law center (http://www.softwarefreedom.org/).
we'd like to offer possibility to eastern-european hackers to join
the meeting, so we agreed with eben moglen that SFLC will provide us
with 25000$ to cover the expenses of people that otherwise couldn't
afford to come. the money is coming from big companies as IBM and some
foundations that sponsor the process of GNU GPL 3 development.
the idea of making pula permanent home of thk was discussed more then
once; many pros and cons emerged. however, i feel that, if we're not
going to do it this year, another thk is not going to happen, and i
see this as a possibility to 'ressurect' thk, reaching more people from
eastern europe this time.
here's a short summary of a project; please read it and expess your
opinion. should it be thk 2.0 or not?

---
Hacking Summer

Over the first five days of September we plan to organize a hacker
meeting at the Monteparadiso Hacklab in Pula, Croatia. The meeting should
offer an opportunity for free software, hacker culture and hacktivist
communities to get and hack together on software development, GNU GPLv3
debate, technological hacks, cyber-rights and all other issues related
to information and technological freedoms and political activism.

Objectives

While extending on the experiences of self-organized transhack meetings,
which have become a rallying site for hacktivists from all over
the Western and Mediterranean Europe, Near and Middle East, we wish
additionally to reach out towards free software communities all over
the Eastern Europe and create an opportunity to exchange experiences
and knowledge on how to leapfrog the limitations the free software
and information freedoms face in Eastern Europe and to contribute to
fostering strong bonds and networks among free software, hacker and
geek communities across Europe.

The hacking summer event will take place on the premises of former
military complex Karlo Rojc, which has served as a venue for one of the
previous transhack meetings. As our plan is to develop, over the next
two-three years, facilities in the region of Istria - Monteparadiso
Hacklab in Pula and Labinary in Labin - to serve as permanent, year
over facilities for free software development, research, marathons and
hacker, with this event we want to make initial steps towards creating
and building up resources necessary at the hacking summer location.

Program

hacking summer is open for everyone to participate and program
is open for all participants to organize. All hacking-related and
hacking-unrelated topics can become a debate, a skill-sharing session,
a workshop or a lecture.

To address issues of GNU GPL deliberation process, free software
development and advocacy in Eastern Europe and across Europe
Monteparadiso Hacklab, Multimedia Institute and Software Freedom Law
Center will organize more formal sessions related to those issues.
There will be four such sessions concentrated over the last two days
of the hacking summer event:

1. GNU GPL v 3 - future challenges for free software

2. Free Software development in Eastern Europe: Development project in
civil societies, SMEs and government

3. Building Free Software alliances in Eastern Europe

4. Networking Free Software communities across Europe

Participants

The event venue - Karlo Rojc complex - will offer plenty of
free space for those who wish to set up their camping gear and basic
facilities for those who will stay at the premises. Those who wish to be
accommodated elsewhere in Pula, will be able to find plenty of different
accommodation options in the town. There will be no registration fees
nor fees for those who will be organizing.

Monteparadiso Hacklab, Multimedia Institute and Software Freedom Law
Center wish to cover expenses of up to 40 participants from Eastern
Europe for who would not be able to cover their own expenses.
---

--
ivana