[Badgirlz-list] International Meeting on Feminisms and Activ…

Author: Errata
To: badgirlz-list
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] International Meeting on Feminisms and Activisms
International Meeting on Feminisms and Activisms

Barcelona, 8-9 or 9-10 July 2006

Is feminism obsolete or is it being re-invented?
Today, feminist
engagements
and gender-sensitive approaches have proliferated
across a broad
spectrum of
disciplines and movements. The de-territorialization
and re-location of
feminist practices and discourses in multiple and
heterogeneous fields
and
contexts calls for a re-evaluation of the (visible and
invisible)
impact of
feminism on different areas of social praxis and the
possibilities for
re-imagining feminist politics as an emergent moment
in the dynamics of
social change.

The event:

We would like to propose a two-day meeting of
discussion and debate
among
feminist activists, academics and researchers to
address some of the
current
issues we are facing and focusing on in our work and
life. The meeting
will
be organized around different workshops, discussion
groups and themes,
the
purpose of which will be to explore in depth and
across the diverse
fields
of activity we are engaged in, the theoretical and
practical challenges
and
possibilities that are presenting themselves today,
the possibilities
for
further action within and outside academic
institutions and activist
groups,
and the broadening of international networks.

Our idea, so as not to reproduce a congress with many
short papers and
little time for discussion, is to organize the space
in order to have
plenty
of time for debates and very few presentations. We
hope this will help
create networks among people who are doing similar
work.

The organization:

The basic idea is for interested people to define a
few broader themes
of
discussion. The space/time for discussing specific
topics will be
organized
by those interested in the theme (individually or
collectively) and the
overall program coordination will be mediated by
Femact.

So please feel free to propose yourself (your group)
as
organizer/coordinator of a specific topic, please let
us know before
the
16th January.

Just to give a first idea of what we are thinking we
would like to
present a
possible schedule of discussion:

      1 day
     9.00-11.00
     Short presentation of the participants and of the
different topics
of
discussion

      11.00-14.00
     Topic 1
     Topic 2

      14.00-15.00
     Lunch

      15.00-18.00
     Topic 3
     Topic 4

      18.00-19.00
     Plenary: call for action-networking and important
information

      Night
     Eating together, informal discussion

      2 day
     10.00-13.00
     Topic 5
     Topic 6

      13.00- 13.30
     Break

      13.30-14.30
     Small group discussion (Topic 1 to 6 and
spontaneous group)

      14.30-15.30
     Lunch
      15.30-19.00
     Plenary: organization, networking, call for
action etc..

      Night
     Informal debate and some fiesta

The organizers:

FEMACT
Femact is a transnational group of women from
Catalunya, Italy, Greece,
Germany, UK, Brazil and South Africa. The group began
its life two
years ago
around the collective editing of the 4th issue of The
Annual Review of
Critical Psychology, dedicated to the exploration of
'Feminisms and
Activisms' (for further information on how to purchase
the journal
'Feminisms and Activisms', please see:
http://www.criticalpsychology.com/info/arcpcurrent.htm)
in different
countries and disciplines. After the successful
publication of the
journal
we have held two workshops at international
conferences and meetings in
South Africa and the UK, pursuing the questions raised
by our feminist
and
activist engagements with women and feminists from
various different
activist and academic backgrounds.

Seminari multidisciplinar de investigacio-accio
feminista (Asociació
LIMES):

We are a small group of feminist researchers that
meets to interchange
information of our work and organize some 'feminist
research' debates
within
social centers. We are part of an association born in
2004 to promote
action
research and to facilitate research processes within
social movements.

Would your group or network like to be involved in the
organization?
Let us
know.

Do you want to be involved in the organization?:

If you are interested in this project there are plenty
of things you
could
do to be involved. For example we are looking for:

·      Someone that would like to do a web page
(possibly with open
source
program and with possibility of interaction).

·      Funding, would you like to help us looking for
funding?

·      Someone that would like to moderate the
communication process

·      Translators

For further information and to offer yourself for any
help, please
contact:

femact@???

Warm wishes to all and have a good holiday!