[Badgirlz-list] [queersforeconomicjustice] November events

Author: Errata
To: badgirlz-list
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] [queersforeconomicjustice] November events
[queersforeconomicjustice] November events

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Below is info about QEJ’s November “Know Your Rights”
Training (“RESUME
WRITING WORKSHOP FOR HOMELESS LGBT INDIVIDUALS”), as
well as other
upcoming events of interest in November (and a few
other things a little
further down the line…).

Please don’t forget about today’s THE WORLD CAN’T WAIT
events. (see
below for details).

In addition, there is also information about three
other events coming
up a little further down the road.

We hope that you will find some or all of these to be
of interest.

- Joseph N. DeFilippis
Executive Director
Queers for Economic Justice
16 W. 32nd Street #10H
New York, NY 10001
(212) 564-3608
www.QueersforEconomicJustice.org

RESUME WRITING WORKSHOP FOR LGBT INDIVIDUALS
in preparation for the TransJustice job fair

November 16th
6pm-8:30pm

Free food
Free carfare/metrocard for shelter residents

Hosted by Queers for Economic Justice at
16 W. 32nd St. #10H
New York, NY 10001

Please call for reservations at 212-564-3608

TODAY:

THE WORLD CAN’T WAIT!

DRIVE OUT THE BUSH REGIME!

MOBILIZE FOR NOV. 2ND

Here we are in the final days before launching the
movement that will
mark the beginning of the end of the Bush Regime. All
progressive
people and organizations must be involved in building
this movement. This
Regime under the leadership of George Bush is putting
in place a
theocratic superstructure based on their literal
translation of the bible.
Those in the way have been silenced, forced from
power, and even
imprisoned without Due Process. Muslims, Gays,
Blacks, and People with
HIV/AIDS have been demonized by this regime, in some
cases even exterminated
as in Iraq, the victums of Katrina, and the
replacement of AIDS
education and condoms with prayer and abstanance only
programs. Science and
concerns for the environment have been replaced with
lies and visions of
rapture as predicted in the bible. Women, once again
have may have to
resort to back alley abortions and coat hangers,
because Bush thinks an
egg and sperm is more valuable than a woman’s right to
choose.

As we speak, events at the White House are unfolding –
indictments,
resignations, and accusations. We can’t rest on our
laurels expecting
these events to bring down this Regime. People who
steal elections and
believe they’re on a mission from God will not go
without a fight. We can
be certain that the replacements of any of the
indicted will be
representantives of the same agenda. This is a time to
be even more determined
in our demand, we must take advantage of any
vulnerability that these
events create within the ruling structures.

The actions on Nov. 2nd are planned in over 60 cities
across the
country including high schools and colleges in many of
these cities. Our
call is to leave work, leave school, and make history.
In NYC the plan is
to meet at Union Square at noon, rally with speakers
and artists until
2pm, than march to Times Square. All along the way
encouraging people
from the sidelines to join in. Our voices will
resonate through the
nation as we in our thousands speak for and to the
millions that hate
this Regime and everything it represents.

Don’t stand on the sidelines; don’t stay in school.
Join this
movement, the stronger we are on the 2nd, the stronger
the movement will be
after the 2nd. Send this email to your friends, your
elists, and
everyone you know that wants to change the direction
this country is being
led. The future of the planet depends on our action
now.

Check out the web site www.worldcantwait.com for
details about local
actions in your city.

MONDAY, NOV. 7:

What if you weren’t allowed to walk up Christopher
Street after 1am?
What is the curfew at the Pier changed to 10pm?
This could happen.

RESIDENTS IN THE WEST VILLAGE WANT LGBT YOUTH OF COLOR
OUT OF THE PIER
AND OFF CHRISTOPHER STREET.

THEY ARE PROPOSING A BLOCKADE PREVENTING US FROM
WALKING UP CHRISTOPHER
ST ONCE THE PIER CLOSES AT 1AM.

FIERCE IS FIGHTING BACK FOR THE ONLY SAFE SPACE WE
HAVE.

Monday November 7, 2005 6:30pm
Tony Dapolito Recreation Center
3 Clarkson Street 3rd Floor (7th Ave)

FIERCE! Allies, we’ve asked you before, we’ll ask you
again, we need
your help:

Some of the residents have talked about arming the
patrols, and called
us leftovers. On Monday they are putting forward a
proposal to
Community Board 2 to block off Christopher Street at
1am when the Piers close.
Only ‘some’ people will be allowed down Christopher
Street - and they
have no answers, other than discrimination, to tell
the difference
between us and the people who pay for property in the
West Village.

FIERCE! has real solutions to solve the problems
between residents,
business owners, and LGBT youth of color. We want to
make sure the West
Village remains a safe and public space for everyone
to enjoy – not just
those who can afford it.

Extend (or End) the Curfew – making it later lets us
trickle out
cutting down the noise when everyone is forced off the
Pier at 1am.

To stop the residents from pressuring the city to pass
this
discriminatory “solution”, we need your help. Our
allies showing up shows them
that the whole community supports safe solutions.

Not everyone thinks LGBT youth of color are leftovers.

Here’s what we are asking for you to do:

PROTEST THE CURFEW & THE PROPOSED STREET BLOCKADES
WITH FIERCE THIS
MONDAY 11/7
Show up at 6:30p at the Tony Dapolito Recreation
Center
3 Clarkson Street 3rd Floor (7th Ave)
Show up at 6:30 outside to hear our plan and prepare
to speak
Show up at 6:30p to save seats so they hear us the
whole meeting

Monday, Nov. 7:

Attention LGBT Immigrants, Asylum-Seekers and Asylees,
you are invited
to attend:

IMMIGRANT WORKERS RIGHTS: KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!
Monday November 7,
6:30 pm

Speaker to be announced
followed by Member Meeting about QuIR's agenda for the
new year.

Different day of the week!
Monday November 7, 6:30 pm

Different Location!
Meeting Location:  Chapman Room
222 East 16th Street (between Rutherford Pl. & 3rd
Ave., around the
corner from AFSC), Manhattan, NYC 10003

Subways: L to 3rd Avenue; 4,5, N,R,Q,W to 14th
Street/Union Square;
PATH to 14 St.

This monthly meeting is brought to you by:
QUEER IMMIGRANT RIGHTS PROJECT (QuIR)
JOIN US! For more information on QuIR, see our
website: www.quir.org

QuIR is under the auspices of American Friends Service
Committee's
Immigrant Rights Program, www.afsc.org/nymetro

Wednesday, Nov. 9:

COMMUNITY FORUM ON POLICING

Wednesday, November 9 @ 6:30 PM
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
521 West 126th Street (b/w Broadway & Amsterdam)

Each month in New York City, thousands of people are
detained for 30,
40 or even 50 hours without seeing a judge and in
violation of their
constitutional rights. On Wednesday, November 9, the
New York City Bill
of Rights Defense Campaign and St. Mary's Episcopal
Church in Harlem
will host a community forum on policing, with a
special focus on the
problem of prolonged detention. Please join us on
this special night.

Panelists at the forum will include Council Member
Bill Perkins,
Charles Billups of the Grand Council of Guardians,
Traci Douglas of
Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem, King Downing
of the ACLU's Campaign
Against Racial Profiling, and New Yorkers who have
suffered the
consequences of prolonged detention. Participants
will discuss the need for the
City Council to pass the Charge or Release Bill, and
community members
will have the chance to share their own experiences as
well as ask the
panelists questions about their rights when they come
in contact with
the police.

For more information about the community forum and the
Charge or
Release Bill, please visit www.nycbordc.org or call
212.344.3005 x268.

Sponsored by:
Democracy for NYC * Institute for Puerto Rican Policy
* Neighborhood
Defender Service of Harlem * New York City Bill of
Rights Defense
Campaign * New York Civil Liberties Union * Roundtable
of Institutions of
People of Color * St. Mary's Episcopal Church * Women
of Color Policy
Network

Wednesday, Nov. 9:

CLAGS presents

“SEXUAL SEDITION: FROM THE ESPIONAGE LAWS TO THE WAR
ON TERROR”
Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2005, 7:00 PM

Room C201,
The Graduate Center
365 Fifth Ave. between 34th and 35th Sts.

Molly McGarry, Assistant Professor-Department of
History,University of
California, Riverside;
Center for Religion and Media, New York University

Sexual Sedition traces a genealogy of the current “war
on terror” to
the early years of the last century with the passage
of the Espionage and
Sedition Acts (1917-1918) and a newly strengthened
Immigration Act
(1917).

Through an analysis of a series of related cases from
these years –
from the trial of Dr. Marie Equi, an I.W.W. organizer
and birth control
advocate imprisoned under the sedition laws as “an
anarchist, an
abortionist, and a degenerate,” to hundreds of
deportation hearings that turned
on the “moral turpitude” clause in the immigration law
– this talk
restores historical links between sexual and political
dissidence,
“unnatural” identities and un-American acts.

Connecting our current climate to an earlier moment of
national
emergency, Sexual Sedition analyzes the intertwined
sexual and racial politics
of the state during wartime.

CLAGS strives to make all of its events accessible to
our members. ASL
interpretation can be provided for any CLAGS event if
requested 10 or
more working days prior to the event. If you have
other accessibility
needs, please contact the CLAGS office, with a relay
operator when
necessary, at (212) 817-1955 or email us at
clags@???.

For more information, visit our website, www.clags.org
CLAGS is located
at The Graduate Center,CUNY, 365 Fifth Avenue @34th
Street.

Thursday, Nov. 17:

Seven Stories Institute and Picture the Homeless
present an evening
with famed writer and activist Ariel Dorfman!

LIVING, WRITING, BREATHING IN TWO WORLDS: DOS MUNDOS

Thursday, November 17th 2005
Riverside Church, 7 PM
490 Riverside Drive, above 119th Street
ADMISSION: FREE

Dorfman’s work concerns itself with the confluence
between art and
human rights, and the role of artists in relation to
oppression, and the
relation between individual struggle and systemic
inequity. His
characters occupy two worlds: forced into exile,
victims of torture, socially
marginalized. To put it simply, some people have
rights and others
don’t—but how do these two groups relate?

We here at Picture the Homeless are honored to be
co-presenting this
event with an amazing artist whose work tackles so
many of the questions
undergirding our own work: organizing people whose
basic human rights
have been violated to hold accountable the political
and economic
systems that oppress them.

More details to come, including additional artists and
exact time and
space at Riverside. Seven Stories Institute will be
selling Dorfman’s
books at half price, and Picture the Homeless will be
selling our dynamic
DVD anthologies featuring short films by homeless New
Yorkers
organizing to fight for recognition of their own human
rights – so make sure you
bring your checkbook and oodles of cash.

Ariel Dorfman: Chilean novelist, playwright, essayist,
journalist and
human rights activist, b. Argentina. Dorfman’s family
moved to the
United States shortly after his birth, settling in
Chile in 1954. He
attended and was a professor at the University of
Chile. Forced into exile
following the Chilean military coup of 1973, he had
divided his time
between Santiago and the United States since the
restoration (1990) of
democracy in his homeland. Since 1985 he has taught at
Duke University.
Dorfman has written powerful fiction often dealing
with the horrors of
tyranny and, in later works, the trials of exile. His
1990 play Death and
the Maiden is one of the greatest dramatic works of
the past thirty
years; it was later made into a brilliant film by
Roman Polanski, starring
Ben Kingsley and Sigourney Weaver.

“But you in your Commission only concern yourselves
with the dead, with
those who cannot speak. And it turns out that I can
talk, it’s been
years that I haven’t said a word, that I live
terrified of my own…but I’m
not dead, I thought I was entirely dead but I am alive
and I do have
something to say.”
Paulina Salas—Death and the Maiden

Friday, Nov. 18:

Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
presents Staceyann Chin and Alix Olson in
THE 18TH ANNUAL LYNN CAMPBELL MEMORIAL FUND BENEFIT

Friday November 18, 2005
Doors open 6:30PM
The Lighthouse Theater, Lighthouse International
111 East 59th Street (between Lexington and Park
Avenues)

General Tickets $60
Event Sponsorship begins at $100

Performances 7:00PM
Q & A with both poets
Cheryl Clarke, Emcee
After-party with hors d'oeuvres and cocktails 9:00PM

Staceyann Chin "gives off enough electric current to
keep Manhattan in
air conditioning for a century of summers." (The New
York Times) From
the rousing cheers of the Nuyorican Poets' Cafe to
one-woman shows
Off-Broadway to poetry workshops in Denmark and
London, Staceyann Chin has
been an out poet and political activist since 1998. A
co-writer and
performer in the Tony nominated, Def Poetry Jam on
Broadway, she has been
featured on 60 Minutes and has won countless slam poet
titles around the
country.

Alix Olson is "a red-hot, fire-bellied,
feminism-spewin' volcano. Plus
she rhymes." (Allison Bechdel) Igniting audiences
around the world,
Alix Olson is an internationally touring folk poet and
progressive queer
artist-activist. One part peace vigil, one part
protest rally, and one
part joyful raucous concert, she has twice headlined
HBO's Def Poetry
Jam. The recently released and heralded documentary,
Left Lane chronicles
her life on the road.

Lynn Campbell (1955—1984) The Lynn Campbell Memorial
Fund was
established in memory of Lynn, a friend and supporter
of Astraea. During her
brief 28 years, Lynn devoted her immense talents and
energies to many
social justice issues, including the women's, labor,
lesbian and gay
political movements.

For more information and to inquire about student
group discounts and
limited income tickets, contact Candace Hewitt:
Candace@??? or 212.529.8021 x14

1ST NEW YORK CITY TRANS AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING
PEOPLE OF COLOR JOB
AND EDUCATION FAIR

initiated by TransJustice,
a project of The Audre Lorde Project, The Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual,
Two-Spirit, and Trans People of Color Center for
Community Organizing,
focusing on the NYC area.

To Endorse/ Register your business or school: email
Transjobfair@??? or call 718 596-0342 ext 18. To
Register to attend
as an individual: Call 718 596-0342 ext 27
National & Local orgs & individual endorsements are
welcomed.

Endorsers in formation:
ALLGO, a Queer People of Color Organization, Austin,
TX
FIERCE! Fabulous Independent Educated Radicals for
Community
Empowerment
Fight Imperialism, Stand Together (F.I.S.T)
GLOBE: A Group that Supports and Empowers The LGBTQ
community in
Bushwick, NY
Immigration Equality, NYC
Jews for Racial and Economic Justice
Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition
Queers for Economic Justice
Sex Workers Project at the Urban Justice Center, NYC
Transgender, Gender Variant & Intersex Justice
Project, Oakland, CA

I Pledge Statement
1st New York City Trans and Gender Non-Conforming
People of Color Job
and Education Fair initiated by TransJustice, a
project of The Audre
Lorde Project, The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two-Spirit,
and Trans People of
Color Center for Community Organizing, focusing on the
NYC area.

TransJustice is a political group created by and for
Trans and Gender
Non-Conforming people of color. We work to mobilize
our communities and
allies to action on the pressing political issues we
face. These issues
include gaining access to jobs, housing, and
education; the need for
Trans-sensitive healthcare, HIV-related services, and
job-training
programs; resisting police, government and
anti-immigrant violence.

We invite our Trans and Gender Non-Conforming people
of color
communities, our allies within employment and
educational institutions, as well
as GED and job readiness programs to participate with
us in the
historic celebration of the first ever New York City
Trans and Gender
Non-Conforming People of Color Job and Education Fair
on Saturday, December 3rd
2005, from 10am-6pm at the Pennsylvania Hotel.

The enforcement of the two-gender system discriminates
against Trans
and Gender Non-Conforming peoples everywhere in
society: from health
care, immigration, bathrooms, clothing, shelters,
prisons, schools,
government forms, to job applications and identity
documents. Although Trans
and Gender Non-Conforming peoples, especially of
color, comprise a
diverse skill-based population, our talents are often
under-utilized because
of societal stigma and discrimination within
employment and educational
institutions. In December 2004, the New York City
Commission on Human
Rights (CHR) added new anti-discrimination guidelines
to the Human
Rights Law that prohibits discrimination of Trans and
Gender Non–Conforming
people on the basis of gender identity or expression
in regards to
employment, housing and public accommodations,
including city agencies.
Nationally, over 236 employers, including 53 Fortune
500 and 104 Private
Sector Companies, have adopted gender identity
guidelines within their
hiring policies.

We, as Trans and Gender Non-Conforming peoples of
color living in New
York, are taking the initiative to ensure that our
communities reap the
full benefits of the CHR guidelines, by organizing the
New York City
Trans and Gender Non- Conforming People of Color Job
and Education Fair.
We see this endeavor as part of the dismantling of the
oppressive
standards of the two-gender system that have
disenfranchised our
communities, reducing us to second-class status. We
strive to change the political
climate in this country that has historically forced
many Trans and
Gender Non-Conforming people to have few economic
opportunities and/or be
dependent on sub-standard governmental programs for
our survival. We
demand:
• The right to secure the basic human entitlements of
jobs and
educational opportunities
• An end to the daily harassment, discrimination and
violence we
encounter in the workplace or at schools
• The right to the proper recognition of our
identities, pronouns, or
the freedom to not use pronouns
• The right to use the restrooms, locker rooms, or
living
accommodations of our choosing, free from gender
profiling and the fear of possible
arrest.

Moreover, we are organizing The New York City Trans
and Gender
Non-Conforming People of Color Job and Education Fair
to shine a spotlight on
the historical class, racial, sexual, and gender
oppression of poor and
communities of color for centuries in this country.
The recent blatant
governmental negligence in the Gulf region during
Hurricane Katrina -
particularly in New Orleans, LA, a cultural center for
African-American
Trans and Gender Non-Conforming people - is a glaring
example of how
economic disenfranchisement plagues poor people and
communities of color
in the U.S.

As all people living in the U.S. face record
unemployment and
under-employment, while the Bush Administration
continues to spend billions of
dollars on the war in Iraq, we as Trans and Gender
Non-Conforming
peoples of color stand in solidarity with all working
and poor people who are
struggling for the right to a living wage job with
health benefits and
access to affordable education.

We call upon our allies in corporate and
private-sector businesses,
non-profit agencies, higher education and the trade
union movement to
pledge their support for The New York City Trans and
Gender Non-Conforming
People of Color Job and Education Fair We ask for our
allies to
demonstrate your commitment to diverse inclusion and
equal opportunity
employment by:
• Signing on as an Endorser of The New York City Trans
and Gender
Non-Conforming People of Color Job and Education Fair.
• Participating on December 3rd 2005, by purchasing a
booth to take
applications and/or interview prospective Trans and
Gender Non-Conforming
applicants for employment or admissions into your
institution or
agency.
• Offering a wide range of permanent and part-time
positions and
granting opportunities for employment, promotions,
admissions, and career
developments for Trans and Gender Non-Conforming
peoples.
• Committing to uphold and enforce current gender
discrimination laws
and policies within your workplace or educational
institution.
• Conducting in-house training of Trans- and
Gender–related issues to
strengthen your institution
or agency’s capacity to be a Trans-sensitive
environment.
• Offering and/or co-sponsoring educational seminars
to strengthen the
job-readiness capacity of Trans and Gender
Non-Conforming people of
color communities in New York City.

We look forward to your participation and solidarity
in the building of
the historic first-ever New York City Trans and Gender
Non- Conforming
People of Color Job and Education Fair on Saturday,
December 3rd 2005,
at the Pennsylvania Hotel.

To Endorse/ Register your business or school: email
Transjobfair@??? or call 718 596-0342 ext 18. To
Register to attend
as an individual: Call 718 596-0342 ext 27

SHUT DOWN THE SCHOOL OF THE AMERICAS AND CHANGE
OPPRESSIVE U.S. FOREIGN
POLICY!
Converge on Fort Benning: November 18-20, 2005
3 Days of Remembrance & Resistance to Close the SOA!
Endorsed by United for Peace and Justice

For November Mobilization information, visit
http://www.SOAW.org.

On November 18-20, 2005 we will gather at Fort
Benning, Georgia -- one
of the largest military bases in the world and home of
the notorious
School of the Americas (SOA/ WHINSEC) -- to confront
injustice, to speak
out for truth and to change oppressive US foreign
policy.

The SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin American
soldiers in
counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training,
commando and psychological warfare,
military intelligence and interrogation tactics. Its
graduates
consistently use their skills to wage war against the
poor and to maintain a
racist system of greed and violence. Among those
targeted are educators,
union organizers, religious workers, student leaders,
and others who
work for the rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands
of Latin Americans
have been tortured, raped, assassinated,
“disappeared,” massacred, and
forced into refugee by those trained at the School of
Assassins.

The SOA trains the Latin American soldiers whose job
it is to impose
neo-liberalism on their own people. Without these men
with guns there
would be no exploitative free trade deals. Throughout
Latin America, the
SOA and the multinational agreements are the military
and economic sides
of the same coin.

We are in a period of great change. Social justice
movements throughout
the Americas are mobilizing tirelessly, and civil
society groups
challenging U.S. militarism from Baghdad to Bolivia
are increasingly more
vocal. We are going to close this school that
continues to create death
and suffering. Justice is within our reach when we
stand up in numbers
too big to be ignored -- sending a powerful message by
putting our bodies
on the line. Stand up for justice this November 18-20!

For more information about the November Mobilization
Information visit:
http://www.SOAW.org

WORLD SOCIAL FORUM
Join the U.S./Cuba Labor Exchange
at The VI World Social Forum
in
Caracas, Venezuela & Bogotá, Colombia
Sat., Jan. 21 – Sat., Feb. 4, 2006, $1, 650 *
Sat., Jan. 21 – Jan., 29 Venezuela only $1,250.

This delegation will participate in the VI World
Social Forum which
will be held in Caracas, Venezuela. Our hosts will be
the Venezuelan Trade
Union Federation (UNT). We will also visit Bogotá,
Colombia from
February 1 to 4, where we will have the opportunity to
have meetings with
leaders and rank and file union members. We will also
tour and visit
workplaces.

The price of the trip will include: round trip airfare
(from New York
City to Caracas, Venezuela, and Caracas to Bogota,
Colombia), hotel
(double occupancy), 2 meals per day (breakfast and
dinner), internal
transportation to and from the program, translation,
visas and the program.

All questions MUST be completed. PLEASE PRINT neatly
and/or type. The
original application must be submitted, with a copy of
your passport
attached and $300 deposit made payable to the Labor
Exchange.

* The price of $1, 650 is good until the end of
October. ***All
information will be kept confidential.

Legal Name (as it appears on passport):

Address:______________________________________________________________________
City: ____________________ State: _______ Zip Code:
___________
Phone/Fax: _____________________________ E-mail:
_________________________________
Union/Organization:
How/from whom did you learn about the U.S./Cuba Labor
Exchange: Ojette
Brundage
Passport #: _________________________________
Expiration:
______________________
Date: _______________________ Date of birth:
__________________________
Place of birth: _____________________________

Please mail your application to:
US/Cuba Labor Exchange
P.O. Box 39188
Redford, MI 48239
Phone/Fax:(313) 561 8330
E-mail: mailto:laborexchange@aol.com

There maybe some scholarships available if you request
early enough and
send in your money.

http://mail.yahoo.com