[Badgirlz-list] ESF - 'Creating Collectivities/Doing Transna…

Author: Errata
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] ESF - 'Creating Collectivities/Doing Transnational Politics'
[NextGenderation]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Announcment of the esf seminar 'Creating
Collectivities/Doing
Transnational Politics' organised by Feminist Review
in collaboration
with Scovenga, NextGenderation, BSA Race & Ethnicity
Study Group and
the
Torina Samba Band, on Sat 16 Oct (9-11am) at Alexander
Palace in the
Guantanamo Room. You can register online now
http://www.fse-esf.org/

The panel line up is below. At the end of the message
you will find the
abstracts that the speakers and their groups have
circulated.

S28 Creating Collectivities/Doing transnational
politics

1. Nirmal Puwar (Feminist Review, U.K)
'Introduction to the Questions'
Language: English

2. Amal Treacher (Feminist Review, U.K)
'Working Together: Pulling Apart'
Language: English

3. Firdous Azim (Naripokkho, Bangladesh)
'Feminist Struggles in Bangladesh'
Language: English

4. Chiara Martucci (SCONVEGNO, Italy)
~Crossing boundaries: identities in movement'
Language: Italian

5. Sanjay Sharma (BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group,
U.K)
'Anti-racist praxis - the (im)possibility of
collective work in the
academy'
Language: English

6. Beppe de Sario (Torino Sambaband, Italy)
'Creative resistance: strategies and transnational
subjectivities for
alternative politics'
Language: Italian

7. Joanna Hoare (NextGenderation, U.K)
'Bridging the Gap between academia and Political
Activism'
Language: English

Abstracts Below

1. Nirmal Puwar 'Introduction to the Questions'
(Feminist Review)

A quick introduction to the reflexive nature of the
questions that we
will consider within the seminar - the need for
transnational politics/
the limits of transnational politics/ the meaning and
pratice of doing
politics creatively in collectives and across national
(local)
politics.

2. Amal Treacher - 'Working Together: Pulling Apart'
(Feminist Review).

This presentation will explore issues of working
together as an
editorial collective (Feminist Review) and the issues
that arise from
this
endeavour. Focusing on matters of race and culture I
will talk about
the questions, dilemmas and issues that arise.

3. Firdous Azim - 'Feminist Struggles in Bangladesh'
(Naripokko,
Bangladesh)

I will concentrate on the spaces that feminist
struggles in 'third
world' as well as 'muslim' societies need to carve
out. These are the
spaces
from where a transnational feminist discourse can also
emerge, and from
where a fruitful dialoge can take place.

First - caught between the horns of perceived Islamic
dictates on
women,
and a western representation that hones on the
position of women to
denigrate other societies and cultures, feminists have
to carve out a
space
where
issues get discussed, and real change can be brought
about. I will use
Tasleema Nasreen as a case in point, to see how her
image has been
circulated in different sites - that is in the west
and in Bangladesh.

Secondly, in the globalised economy, issues of women's
work and
migration get cloaked in a rights discourse that
somehow does not take
on
board the realities of women's lives. I will be
looking at the case of
garment workers in Bangladesh, as well as women's
labour migration
which is
often conflated with the issue of trafficking in women

4. Chiara Martucci 'Crossing boundaries: identities in
movement'
(SCONVEGNO)

We would like to discuss together what trans/national
feminism(s) could
mean.
We are a feminist group (6 women) and we work together
since 3 years.
We
will start our analysis from our personal experience,
because we
believe
that all the contradictions that we live in a small
group are present,
even more strongly, in an international meeting.
We recognise and stress the importance of
trans/national feminist
meetings first of all because they are a source of
power and mutual
recognition, that we then 'bring back home' and share
in our local
activities. We would like to try to imagine a way of
creating
continuities, of crossing boundaries that permits us
to share a commune
project. We want to bring the experience of the
'MayDay', as a 'best
practice' on which we could think together. Why not
imagine a shared
organisation of a different 8 march celebration?
March attacks!

5. Sanjay Sharma - 'Anti-racist praxis - the
(im)possibility of
collective work in the academy'(BSA Race & Ethnicity
Study Group, U.K)

What kinds of critical anti-racist work are possible
today in
an academy which increasingly operates a neo-liberal
capitalist
agenda? And how does the promise of the transnational
open up
practices of collective struggle?

6. Beppe de Sario - 'Creative resistance: strategies
and
transnational subjectivities for alternative politics'
(Torino
Sambaband)

the key words are: 1. becoming transnational and
crossing the borders
of
political (especially national) traditions. 2.
stylistic recognition
among creative groups facilitates respect and trust.
3. necessity of
communication of differences both during the actions
and talks about
different backgrounds. 4. necessity of bringing the
local to the
transnational questioning the creative
identity/practices on connecting
different issues in politics (precarious work,
migrations, war/peace,
local and urban environment). 5. necessity of bringing
the
transnational to
the local changing the imaginary of local/national
politics and
breaking
with old and residual traditions.

7. Joanna Hoare - 'Bridging the Gap between academia &
Political
Activism' (NextGenderation)

NextGenderation (London) will reflect upon our
attempts over the past
year to establish a collective that combines an
academic approach to
feminist questions with active political engagement.
In particular, we
will
talk about our attempts to plan for participation in
the non-offical
ESF
forum, and the challenges that we have faced in trying
to maintain a
participatory, non-hierarchical, consultative approach
to this process.