[Cm-roma] (en) US, NYC, HUGE Critical Mass Leaves Union Squa…

Author: Worker
Subject: [Cm-roma] (en) US, NYC, HUGE Critical Mass Leaves Union Square - Aug 27 2004
       A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
     News about and of interest to anarchists
  http://ainfos.ca/ http://ainfos.ca/index24.html

On the eve of the RNC, New York City celebrates the largest critical mass
of bicycles on its streets in memory. The police will round up and arrest
cyclists later, but as the 1000+ left the park it was all jubilation.
Critical Mass arrests and other news
1:29AM NYPD Public Information says: 264 arrests. They're all being held in
Pier 57, going through the system. Person said that they are mostly getting
minor tickets; DATs. Arrestees are going to be arraigned starting at 6AM.
1:21AM Central Booking says: They have a list of all the names of all the
arrestees (so call if you need to). They will NOT be arraigned tonight because
the judge has gone home. They are going to be transferred from Pier 57 to
Central Booking.

12:41AM It appears that arrestees are being taken to Pier 57. 3 or
4 buses have arrived, people are being let out of the buses and
processed.

12:22AM Mixed reports regarding release information. Arrestees
are likely being taken either to Central 100 Centre St. or to Pier
57 (b/w 15th St. and 16th St. at the West Side Highway). NYPD
Central Booking says that people arrested during Critical Mass
won't be processed for at least 4-6 hours.

11:51PM Important phone numbers:
Legal Hotline (NLG and People's Law): 212-679-6018
Central Booking (police # to find out info about people who were
arrested): 212-374-3838

11:08PM Police are now reporting at least 250 cyclists arrested.

MEDIA
Anti-Bush Activists Launch NYC Convention Protests
Fri Aug 27, 2004 09:37 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Thousands of cyclists brought traffic in
midtown Manhattan to a virtual standstill on Friday in the first
significant protest ahead of the Republican convention at which
President Bush will be nominated to run for a second White
House term.

Thousands of cyclists swarmed down Broadway from Central
Park in a parade stretching more than a mile on Friday evening --
a time when the area is typically crowded with theatergoers and
people out for dinner and drinks.

The protest lasted several hours, with many chanting "No more
Bush," and was the first sizable demonstration ahead of the Aug.
30-Sept. 2 convention. Many locals in the mostly Democratic city
stopped to applaud the cyclists as they passed through a bustling
Times Square.

At least 30 cyclists were detained and handcuffed at various
locations along the route after small altercations between riders
and motorists who were irritated at the congestion, according to
Reuters witnesses.

The New York Police Department said it had no immediate
information about arrests.

The event was mounted by a group called Critical Mass, which
wants to boost the rights of cyclists in traffic-clogged city streets
and holds its rides in cities around the world on the last Friday of
each month.

*******
                        ********
        ****** The A-Infos News Service ******
       News about and of interest to anarchists
                        ******
   INFO: http://ainfos.ca/org http://ainfos.ca/org/faq.html
   HELP: a-infos-org@???