[Badgirlz-list] Top Italian football team wants to sign Swed…

Author: badgirlz-list@inventati.org
Subject: [Badgirlz-list] Top Italian football team wants to sign Swedish woman
Top Italian football team wants to sign Swedish woman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/3093147.stm

Perugia target top female
Italian club Perugia have set their sights on signing Sweden's leading
female footballer, Hanna Ljungberg to play in Italy's top-flight.
The Serie A club aim to become the first professional team to field a mixed
side.

"Ljungberg is one of a few players we are interested in," a Perugia
spokesman told this website.

"We are interested in two or three female players but a final decision will
not be made until January."

Perugia president Luciano Gaucci is behind the plan to find a female
footballer capable of playing in Italy's elite league.

"Our president wants Perugia to be the first team in the world to play a
female alongside men in the Italian league," added the Perugia spokesman.
"He watched some of the matches in the women's World Cup and I heard him
say that he was interested in Ljungberg and Victoria Svensson"

Gaucci revealed that he would be flying out to Sweden next week to begin
negotiations to sign up one of the Swedish stars.

"We will only sign one player," explained Gaucci. "The length of the
contract will be decided once we have spoken to the players and reached an
agreement."

"They (Svensson and Ljungberg) are among the best, which is a sign that
they are capable of playing in Serie A.

"I can't see why players would have a problem having a woman on the team."

Ljungberg is Sweden's only professional female footballer but there few
believe that the 25-year-old is ready to quit the women's game for a
high-profile move to Italy.

"Perugia says that they will sign Hanna Ljungberg, but Hanna Ljungberg
herself says that there is no truth at all about that," said Jan Johansson
from Aftonbladet newspaper.

A spokesperson from the Italian Football Federation revealed that there is
no law preventing females playing alongside male footballers in Italy.

"We do not have a law in Italy that says it is impossible to do it, it is
forbidden," the spokesperson told this website.

"We are still talking to our lawyers to get a clearer idea of the situation
because we have nothing on it in our rule-book at the moment."

-----

GAUCCI'S SCHEMES
Appointed Carolina Morace as coach of Italian club Viterbese in 1999 - she
was the first female coach of a men's side but quit after 8 matches
Signed Saadi Gaddafi, son of Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi in June
2003
Plundered new markets by signing Japan's Hidetoshi Nakata and South Korean
Jung-Hwan Ahn for Perugia
Controversially sacked Ahn after he scored the goal which put Italy out of
the World Cup

|||T|H|I|N|K|||||G|L|O|B|A|L|L|Y|||||B|I|K|E|||||L|O|C|A|L|L|Y|||

|||||||||||||The revolution will not be motorized!|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||http://www.tmcrew.org/eco/bike |||||||||||||||||