[Lecce-sf] Fwd: [info-unponteper] Dichiarazione contro la co…

Author: Anna Caputo
Subject: [Lecce-sf] Fwd: [info-unponteper] Dichiarazione contro la conferenza di Madrid
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "un ponte per ..." <POSTA@???>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: info-unponteper-owner@???
<DIV></DIV>>To: "liste" <LISTE@???>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: [info-unponteper] Dichiarazione contro la conferenza di Madrid
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:03:36 +0200
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Cari tutti,
<DIV></DIV>>il 22 e 23 ottobre a Madrid si terà la cosiddetta "Conferenza dei donatori"
<DIV></DIV>>per l'Iraq.
<DIV></DIV>>(vedi
<DIV></DIV>>http://www.ilmanifesto.it/Quotidiano-archivio/18-Ottobre-2003/art26.html)
<DIV></DIV>>Una coalizione di forze pacifiste riunita nell'"International Occupation
<DIV></DIV>>Watch" ha promosso per il 22 ottobre a Madrid una conferenza stampa per
<DIV></DIV>>denunciare il carattere di sostegno all'occupazione statunitense che tale
<DIV></DIV>>conferenza avrà e la privatizzazione delle strutture produttive e dei
<DIV></DIV>>servizi pubblici dell'Iraq promossa dal governatore Bremer.
<DIV></DIV>>La conferenza stampa sarà tenuta da Herbet Docena (Focus on the Global
<DIV></DIV>>South), Fernando Suárez (Associzione dei familiari dei soldati Usa) e
<DIV></DIV>>Ornella Sangiovanni di Un ponte per...
<DIV></DIV>>In quella occasione sarà diffusa alla stampa internazionale la dichiarazione
<DIV></DIV>>che segue.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Vi invitiamo ad aderire alla dichiarazione inviando un messaggio a
<DIV></DIV>>herbert@??? indicando organizzazione e paese di
<DIV></DIV>>appartenenza.
<DIV></DIV>>Le adesioni vanno inviate entro martedì 21 ottobre.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Fabio Alberti
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>=====================================================================
<DIV></DIV>>NO MONEY FOR THE OCCUPATION! IRAQ IS NOT FOR SALE
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>-A CALL ON GOVERNMENTS TO REFUSE TO DONATE TO THE OCCUPATION AND CORPORATE
<DIV></DIV>>INVASION OF IRAQ AT THE MADDRID DONORS¹ CONFERENCE
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>-A CALL FOR THE REJECTION OF THE NEW ³INVESTMENT LAWS² THAT WILL PRIVATIZE
<DIV></DIV>>IRAQ
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>On October 23-24 in Madrid, the United States will be convening rich
<DIV></DIV>>creditor countries, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and the World
<DIV></DIV>>Bank (WB) in an attempt to raise the $55 billion needed for the
<DIV></DIV>>reconstruction of Iraq over the next four years. This follows the
<DIV></DIV>>US-installed Iraqi Governing Council¹s (IGC) recent announcement putting up
<DIV></DIV>>Iraq¹s assets for sale &shy; with the Iraqis¹ oil revenues under the
<DIV></DIV>>US-controlled UN Development Fund to be used for financing the sell-out. In
<DIV></DIV>>other words, the Iraqis¹ assets will be sold to US corporations using the
<DIV></DIV>>Iraqis¹ own money.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>But this will still not be enough. Oil revenues will be insufficient and the
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>US, facing a record budget deficit and having just granted its richest
<DIV></DIV>>taxpayers $1.7 trillion in tax cuts, is unwilling to fill the gap. To cover
<DIV></DIV>>the shortfall, US is turning to potential donors who have already indicated
<DIV></DIV>>that they will only be donating their taxpayers¹ money if their own
<DIV></DIV>>corporations are assured of getting business deals in the occupied country.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>In light of these disturbing developments, we the undersigned, we reaffirm
<DIV></DIV>>the positions and demands in the Jakarta Peace Consensus as forged by
<DIV></DIV>>representatives of the global anti-war movement last May.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>- We demand an immediate end to the illegal occupation of Iraq by the United
<DIV></DIV>>States and its allies.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>- The UN-held Iraqi oil escrow account must not be used to foot the bill for
<DIV></DIV>>the reconstruction of the damage caused by the illegal war and UN sanctions.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> - While we strongly support independent civil society assistance to and
<DIV></DIV>>solidarity with the Iraqi people, the United Nations and its agencies, other
<DIV></DIV>>governments and non-governmental organizations should not serve as a cover
<DIV></DIV>>to legitimize, or profit from, the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq.
<DIV></DIV>>Humanitarian aid must not be used to support or promote the military,
<DIV></DIV>>political and economic objectives of the occupying forces.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> - According to Geneva Conventions, humanitarian assistance and
<DIV></DIV>>reconstruction are the legal and moral responsibility of the invading and
<DIV></DIV>>occupying forces.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>-The Iraqi people have sovereignty over all natural resources and utilities.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>We therefore oppose the grant of any aid, loan, or any other form of
<DIV></DIV>>reconstruction funds to Iraq for as long as the funds are controlled by the
<DIV></DIV>>occupying powers. We call on all governments to donate only to urgent
<DIV></DIV>>humanitarian needs through a separate fund that the occupying forces do not
<DIV></DIV>>have access to. We reject the new investment laws that would privatize and
<DIV></DIV>>liberalize the Iraqis¹ economy.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>We call on the occupation forces to leave Iraq. We call on our governments
<DIV></DIV>>no to finance the occupation and corporate invasion of Iraq.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>SIGNATORIES as of October 18
<DIV></DIV>>Occupation Watch Center (Iraq)
<DIV></DIV>>Bridges to Baghdad (Italy)
<DIV></DIV>>Civilian Campaign for the Protection of Palestinians (France)
<DIV></DIV>>Code Pink (US)
<DIV></DIV>>Focus on the Global South (India, Philippines, Thailand)
<DIV></DIV>>Global Exchange (US)
<DIV></DIV>>United for Peace and Justice (US)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>