[Cm-milano] Climate Talks, Milan, December – action?

Author: cm-milano@inventati.org
Subject: [Cm-milano] Climate Talks, Milan, December – action?
dear people in milan (hi teresa! i met you in Next 5 Minutes),
here is the email with our thoughts on COP9 and call for collaboration. Do you
think you can translate this into Italian and distribute? It would be great -
we need to work bilingual from now I think, so it would be fab if you can
translate this for us now as we start to gather more people who can translate
from now into the future! Hope you are well, christina xxx

UN Climate Talks hit Milan – Carbon Trade Watch call for collaboration.
*please distribute*

In Milan, Italy, during December 1-12th Carbon Trade Watch will create a public
space on climate change, neo-liberalism and the privatisation of the
environment. This is in parallel with “COP9”, which is the 9th “Conference of
the Parties” of the United Nations Convention on Climate Change. Carbon Trade
Watch is making an open call for people and groups interested to collaborate on
this space and/or interested to discuss other plans.
>From 3-6th October, two people from Carbon Trade Watch and Risingtide will be

in Milan to meet people and groups interested to collaborate – if you would
like to meet, or get more information, please contact:
tamra@??? and christinap@??? or telephone 0031 (0)20
662 6608

The public space will comprise:
*Exhibition on plantations and resistance in Brasil. The plantations in
question are eucalyptus. The connexion with climate change is the fact that
plantation corporations in Brasil are financially benefitting from the carbon
economy legitimised by the Kyoto Protocol.
*Film Festival. A series of films will be shown on the privatization of the
environment and resistance in the context of neo-liberal globalisation. The
films will cover subjects such as: pollution trading, water privatization, the
World Summit on Sustainable Development, globalisation in Africa, plantations
in Brasil, the World Bank and so on… Where possible, films will be in Italian,
or with supporting Italian translations.
*Workshops. In discussion with collaborating groups, a workshop program will be
formed. The priority is to share our knowledge in the most accessible way
possible. Workshops will be in Italian or with Italian translation.
*Space for holding meetings.
*Archive of materials on climate change, pollution trading and direct action.

New Proposals:
*Evening event on Women, Trade and Climate Change.
Speakers are needed to support this event.

Your input is welcome on any of these areas. There is a small collective of
people who are making this space happen, but more people are welcome to grow
the idea and support new proposals. Get in touch! Support especially needed
with:
*TRANSLATION between Italian, English and Portuguese.
*THE SPACE in Milan – we need one!
*FUNDING... we currently have zero funding for this work, but will make it
happen somehow – if you or your project can donate resources, support, or even
some cash… it would be very very welcome.
*collaborators!
*audio-visual equipment in Milan, or which can get to Milan.
*publicity and local outreach.
*materials you want to distribute through space – films, leaflets, zines, books
and so on.
*new strategic ideas.
*contacts with grassroots alternative energy projects and networks.
*solidarity events/actions in other places… people everywhere have a right to
know that the environment is being sold for consumption by neo-liberal
globalisation… AND that there are people around the world who are joining
together to create bottom up solutions…