[Cm-roma] I: [dadaciclo] Pedal for peace

Author: Luigi Pirelli
Subject: [Cm-roma] I: [dadaciclo] Pedal for peace

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: dadaciclo-admin@???
[mailto:dadaciclo-admin@autistici.org]Per conto di clacla
Inviato: mercoledì 30 ottobre 2002 10.41
A: dadaciclo
Oggetto: [dadaciclo] Pedal for peace

You might be wondering what's going on, what's this band of bewheeled ghosts
doing, emerging from the Hallowe'en London murk with a whole lot of
righteous noise and colour?

The short answer is that this is the 'Pedal for
Peace, Hallowe'en Ride Against War',
which is part of the wider October 31st day of
direct action against war on Iraq.
A longer version is this: there's an
intimate and unholy connection between the
US and UK's current plans for a war against Iraq, western society's
addiction to oil and gas, potentially catastrophic climate change, and the
struggle of most of the world's population for even the first glimmerings of
social justice.
We're out on the streets tomorrow to draw attention to these connections,
and to urge people to do whatever they can to raise their voices against
this institutionalised madness, and for a world that is ecologically safe,
socially just, and peaceful.
The focus is very specific: we'll be visiting a selection of the addresses
named below, which play host to some of the companies and institutions which
are behind the current build-up to war with Iraq, or which are very likely
to benefit from such military action. At each location, we will be
presenting a unique, antique-of-the-future (we hope) 'Burning Planet' award,
in recognition for the company's contribution to conflict, injustice and
climatic destabilisation. We will also be requesting them to shut up shop,
permanently.

Now more than ever we need to talk to each other, to share what we know,
what we believe, and what we can imagine.

Please join us for as long as you feel able, and please also take action in
some way to avert this insanity and begin to build a better world. Thanks
for reading.

The Hallowe'en Pedal for Peace Posse

Website for London Critical Mass (monthly cycle
around London): http://www.cm-london.cjb.net

Related links:
http://uk.indymedia.org | http://www.risingtide.org.uk
http://www.caat.org.uk | http://www.disobedience.org.uk

Here is the shortlist of locations. The winners of the 'Burning Planet'
award will be announced during the Hallowe'en ceremony on wheels:

Ministry of Defence (Whitehall, Tel: 010 7218 9000 or 0870 607 4455): War
for sale.

TotalFinaElf (40 Clarendon Road, Watford, Tel: 01923 694000): This French
company has signed deals to bring Iraq's oil to market.

Lukoil (86 Jermyn Street, SE1, Tel: 020 7839 6778/7771): As well as being
Russia's largest oil company, Lukoil is currently exporting more oil from
Iraq than any other foreign company.

BP (St. James' Square, SW1, Tel: 7496 4000, email:bponthestreet@???):
Slavering quietly in the wings at the thought of all that Iraqi oil, and
about to have its planned Baku (Azerbaijan) - Ceyhan (Turkey) pipeline
halted by an unprecedented local and international campaign.

Shell (The Cut, SW1; Tel: 010 7934 1234): Also slavering.

Alvis (34 Grosvenor Gardens, SW1, Tel: 7808 8888): Alvis produces armoured
fighting vehicles and its turnover is 100% military. It has exported 20,000
military vehicles to more than 60 countries.

BAE Systems (6 Carlton Gardens, SW1, Tel: 01252 373232, Fax: 01252 383
9911): BAE Systems produces a wide range of military equipment, which
accounts for around 75% of it's total sales. It has a history of selling it
indiscriminately to repressive regimes and regions of conflict around the
world. BAE Systems is the UK's number one arms exporter.

MBDA (11 The Strand, WC2): Subsidiary of BAE (37.5%). Designs and produces
guided weapon systems for land-based, naval and airborne requirements.

Rolls-Royce (65 Buckingham Gate, SW1,Tel: 020 7222 9020): Rolls-Royce has
provided gas turbine aero-engine facilities to 100 armed forces. Its engines
presently power around 25% of the world's military aircraft fleet.

GKN (7 Cleveland Row, London SW1A 1DB,Tel: 020 7930 2424/01527 517715): Its
aerospace activities comprise a 50% share in the world's second largest
helicopter company, AgustaWestland, which produces a wide range of
helicopters, including Apache attack helicopters for the UK armed forces

Raytheon Systems Limited (80 Park Lane, London W1,Tel: 020 7569 5500):
Produces military and commercial electronic systems and business and special
mission aircraft. Raytheon is the 4th largest US defence contractor.

Lockheed Martin UK (Berkeley Square House, Berkeley Square, London W1,Tel:
020 7412 0555, Fax: 020 7412 0547): The world's largest arms producer. It
exports $2-$3 billion worth of arms around the world each year.

The American Chamber of Commerce (aka. the British American Business Inc.,
75 Brook Street, London W1Y 2EB,Tel: 020 7467 7400; fax: 020 7493
2394;email: ukinfo@???): This is a lobby group and meeting point for
US companies in the UK. It also gives advice on obtaining MoD contracts.

Armed Forces Recruiting Centre, (453 Strand, W1,Tel: 08457 300111): Say no
more!

The US Embassy (24 Grosvenor Square, SW1; Tel: 020 7499 9000): Gross and
venal.