Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 6.0rc1 test

Autore: intrigeri
To: iralugh, tails-testers
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 6.0rc1 test
Hi,

iralugh@??? (2024-02-26):
> I've been testing 6.0rc1 for a while on an old ThinkPad with 4GB RAM and
> old graphic card, internal intel wifi and external old USB wifi and
> everythig seems to be working as expected.

Thanks for your feedback!

> The GUI is a bit clunky on this old hardware but not that much.
> The whole system is a bit slower but the laptop I used for the tests is
> from about 2008 so it's spectacular the system does work anyway.
>
> Taking UX, especially annoying is small default size which Gnome Settings
> app opens with since in default size all the categories are listed across
> the whole window and on click, it opens the options screen. If I want to
> make it behave like in 5.22 I have to manually adjust window size which is
> annoying. The rest of the apps can be easily resized with Super+arrow-left
> or Super+arrow right, for settings, I had to use Super+arrow-up to avoid
> too much mouse clicking or manual window resizing. Obviously, all the apps
> run in very small windows but this seems to be an issue upstream.

Yes, all this seems to be upstream material. We don't tweak this kind
of things precisely so we don't have to maintain a delta :)

> Also the system eats nearly whole 2 GB before the browser gets started.
> With the browser running and one/two tabs open the system consumes from
> 2.5 to 3 GB.
> I guess it should be mentioned that the system requirements have changed
> because with only 2 GB you won't be able to browse at all despite the
> system itself still working.

Before I try to reproduce or create an issue to track this:

- how do you measure this?
- using your measurement method, how much more is that than Tails 5.22?

> To the included apps:
> OnionShare 2 works surprisingly well with the new options, however there
> are some issues with it.
>
> 1. It doesn't feel like its new Chat or Website options can save generated
> onion service config for further use. But this feels to be by design.

We would like to have the option to make this persist:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/20136

But we have much higher priorities problems to solve regarding the
integration of OnionShare into Tails:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/20198

> 2. control buttons of OnionShare (to Copy Address, Show QR Code, Copy
> Private Key and Reveal) aren't readable because the app doesn't fully
> respect system Dark Mode settings. This should obviously be fixed
> upstream.

Yep.

> Onion Circuits still doesn't respect Dark Mode settings (same as in 5.22
> and below) and runs in bright gray window with white content and dark
> text.

> Terminal still doesn't respect Dark Mode settings (same as in 5.22 and
> below) and runs in bright gray window with white content and dark text.

I've created an issue to track this:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/20248