Re: [Tails-dev] Persistence

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Persistence
On 07/07/2023 22.36, kb0ebg@??? wrote:
> Greetings;
>     I have my Tails installed on a write protected 8gb Kanguru USB 3.0 flash drive,
>   because it has a physical write protect switch.
> I write protect it after installing and after any updates, physically protecting Tails.
>    I have “Persistence” on a separate phrase encrypted USB that is not write protected.

I am curious, how did you create this separate persistence partition?

> When Tails boots it finds this Persistence on the computer and asks to unlock it.
> This has worked for many years, until v5.8 to the current version.
> This would have worked well with DVD's too.

This undocumented and poorly supported (since we don't support creating
a separate persistence partition) feature was apparently dropped in
Tails 5.8 when the persistence subsystem was completely rewritten. It
seems we still have a ticket about this where you can make your case for
restoring it: https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/6621

Cheers!