Re: [Tails-l10n] Call for testing: Tails translation platfor…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Call for testing: Tails translation platform
Hi,

xin:
>> Reviews
>> =======
>>
>> We do not want translations to be committed to our Git repository that
>> have not been reviewed. This, and other security implications are the
>> reason why we want to give trusted translators the reviewer status.

> Currently my non-reviewed changes (marked as "Waiting for review") are
> directly committed in the production website.

> According to this message it's not a normal behavior.

Indeed, the UI is confusing for folks who, like you, have
Reviewer status.

The intended workflow is that you should _suggest_ translations:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/with_translation_platform/

When the team that's trying to make our translation platform
production-ready designed this access control setup, we agreed that
it's acceptable that this requirement is enforced only via social
rules, and not via technical means, for reviewers¹. I think that at the
moment, these social rules boil down to the following sentence in the
aforementioned doc page:

Reviewers are asked to not bypass the review process for their own
work, except perhaps to fix obvious and important problems.

This doc did not exist yet when we initially called for testing the
translation platform, and the Weblate UI encourages you to do
something else, so it's fully understandable that you would :)

All this comes from our requirement to accept reviewed translations
only combined with Weblate technical limitations (no way to have
"Waiting for review" translations not ending up in Git).

So, please try the now-documented workflow and report back if needed.
I'm afraid you'll have to change your habits a bit :/

[1] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/translation_platform/#access-control