[Tails-l10n] Call for testing: Tails translation platform

Author: u
To: Tails localization discussion, tails-l10n-pt-br
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-l10n] Call for testing: Tails translation platform
Subject: [Tails-l10n] Call for testing: Tails translation platform
Hi!

as promised, thanks to the hard work of many we have finally set up the
web based translation platform [1] which will feed reviewed translations
of the Tails website automatically to our main Git repository. This
means that they'll actually show up there without the need to ask for a
merge :)

It is partly in production but we might still need to adjust some
details before announcing it publicly.

Before that, however, we plan to let you test it, and would kindly ask
you to report your findings so that we can fix eventual remaining issues
and then announce it in September officially as a means to translate the
Tails website.

Create an account
=================

If not done yet, please create an account on the platform [2].

drebs has written the user documentation with more details (not merged
yet, as it might still change a bit) [4].

Suggestions & Votes
===================

- Non logged in users can make translation suggestions.
- Logged in users can make suggestions and vote for suggestions.
- In order for suggestions to be accepted and become actual translations
they need to acked by a person that has the reviewer status.

Reviews
=======

We do not want translations to be committed to our Git repository that
have not been reviewed. This, and other security implications are the
reason why we want to give trusted translators the reviewer status.

If you are currently already a member of a Git translation team and have
done translation work for Tails, we want you to get the status of
reviewer on the platform automatically. Please let us know the name of
your user account on Weblate, so that we can give you the corresponding
status.

Reviewers are asked to not bypass the review process for their own work,
except perhaps to fix obvious and important problems.

In the future, for teams that have never used Git for translations, the
idea is to see if a translator has been translating successfully via
Weblate in the past, and to decide to give them a status of reviewer
only then. It can be requested to become a reviewer via the future
administrator mailinglist (see below).

Previewing translations
=======================

We have set up a staging website [3], that will show suggestions and
translations, also those which have not yet been reviewed and accepted.
(We still have to fix which suggestions to show, probably those with the
most votes. Currently we try to show the most recent one.)

The staging site also shows translations for languages which are not
activated in production. It is updated once per hour.

Report your findings
====================

Please let us know on the list if you have encountered any issues or if
you have remarks on

- technical problems
- usability problems
- missing documentation
- suggestion, vote and review process
- previewing translations
- anything else that felt strange, not straight forward, unnecessarily
complicated?

Thank you very much!

Administrator rights

Once we have this list set up, I'd like us to revoke individual
administrator rights, mainly in order to avoid mistakes.

Note: All current and future admins MUST be well aware that whatever
ACLs we set up exist for a reason and MUST NOT be changed without
discussion and a security review of the proposed changes.

Cheers!

[1] https://translate.tails.boum.org/
[2] https://translate.tails.boum.org/accounts/register/
[3] https://staging.tails.boum.org/