Re: [Tails-l10n] [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate tran…

Author: intrigeri
To: Muri Nicanor, tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate translations
Hi,

Muri Nicanor:
> I am looking forward to use it- does this mean we as a team can not at
> the same time translate through weblate and git?

My understanding is that it remains technically possible to use both.
In case of a conflict on a specific string, the version from Git is
preferred¹. I don't know how extensively this has been tested; we're
aware of some race conditions that we plan to fix soon.

Now, using Weblate instead of Git is beneficial:

- It removes one sajolida+intrigeri bottleneck (and we have way too
many of those!); therefore, translations go live faster and our
users benefit from them earlier.

- In the future, I expect that some consistency checks will only be
implemented in Weblate, so translations done via Git could bypass
them and introduce errors.

However, the Weblate infra currently only supports translating the
master branch so for example, when our technical writers will be done
with the Buster doc update, translation teams who want Tails 4.0 to
ship with up-to-date translations will have no choice but to use Git.
I don't know if there are plans to also support other branches.

[1] See the comment on top of
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/puppet-tails/tree/files/weblate/scripts/update_weblate_git.py