[Tails-dev] Firejail for unsafe browser and SSR screen recor…

Author: jg30
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Firejail for unsafe browser and SSR screen recorder
Hello everyone.

So I had an idea that maybe we could incorporate the Firejail sandboxing
program to the unsafe web browser. It would satisfy the last requirement
to make the unsafe browser have access to as little information about
the computer system as possible. Firejail was specifically designed to
sandbox Firefox in GNU/Liunx, it would be perfect for the so-called
unsafe web browser. Firejail is available in the Debian repositories. It
works on other applications too, and it also has a GUI interface called
firetools. But for this purpose it should only be used in Firefox.
There's a lot of options and commands to really lock down firefox with
firejail, it's much better than a chroot.

I looked at the applications that Tails comes with and saw that there
really was no screen recorder in there. Yes, there are a lot of tools to
work with audio and to edit videos, but what if you want to record
something in the Tails desktop, there's not a single program for that
task. Why not then remove one of the, I think duplicate software from
the list and add something that's not there? I would remove Traverso
from the list of Audio apps and keep Audacity. Simple Screen Recorder
would then take Traverso's place. SSR is a long-standing screen recorder
for GNU/Linux, it's used by a lot of people and it's actively developed.
Audacity is also more popular than Traverso. This would simplify the
applications list I think.

I also checked the webpage where Traverso is hosted and I found out that
they block Tor users! What kind of free software project does that??
Very strange. (traverso-daw.org) At least it did so a few days ago.

Theese are just a few ideas that I have, what do you all think?

(I'm not subscribed to this list btw)