[Tails-testers] TAILS 3.13.1 and previous versions fail to b…

Author: ctop1@netzero.net
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] TAILS 3.13.1 and previous versions fail to boot Dell Latitude E5250

I have not been able to boot the Dell Latitude E5250 with a USB device.
The only time it will boot is from the first USB disk, when I build the second USB disk using the TAILS-Installer, RUFUS, Universal USB Installer or Etcher it fails to boot. The error message is

selected boot device failed press any key to continue

I have tried switching from UEFI to Legacy BIOS in the Dell BIOS setup
disable secure boot
nothing I have tried will allow it to boot.

The Latitude E5250 will boot using the first USB device when we would build the disk using the two USB drives method, but when using then trying to use the second built USB drive, built using the native installers, it returns the error message at boot up selected boot device failed press any key to continue.

However if I try using the exact same flash disk either the second build or the newest version of the TAILS build 3.13.1 with the .img image on a different DELL laptop, for example, an Dell Precision M6400, or any other device like a Microsoft Surface, it successfully boots up.

The only laptop that fails to boot from the bootable USB drive is this DELL Latitude E5250

If you have a procedure I need to follow to succeed booting this Dell Latitude E5250 to TAILS or you need additional information from me, Please contact me with this email address listed below,

Contact info

Chris Tolmie
ctop1@???

OS Name:     Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version:       10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    E5250-06150GL
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    Latitude E5250
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    062A
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2594 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A20, 10/23/2018
SMBIOS Version    2.8
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product    08T0PT
BaseBoard Version    A00
Platform Role    Mobile
Secure Boot State    Off
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.17763.194"
User Name    E5250-06150GL\topc
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    11.9 GB