Re: [Tails-testers] mailto:tails-,testers@boum.org

Author: Teqleez Motley
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] mailto:tails-,testers@boum.org
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019, at 03:28, m. nease via Tails-testers wrote:
> I'm sorry but I'm completely at a loss. All I know is that I now have a
> useless thumb drive that I don't know how to access at all.

ok;
1. Do you know how to find out whether it is a case of a corrupt/physically malfunctioning usb key, or if this is indeed a Tails issue? Can you use any disk / partitioning manager tool to check if the usb is destroyed, or if it may be reformatted before trying again? (ps. that means loosing all the data on it if you do, so see #2 below first).

2. Can you see any Linux LUKS partition on that drive using a tool mentioned in 1)?
If using for example "gnome-disk-utility", you may click to select the LUKS partition on your USB stick (that partition contains your Persistent folder in encrypted state), then click ok the "mount" button, provide your persistency password, and hopefully get access to your files if the usb stick is still working.

3. How ("when") exactly did your thumb drive start failing; in connection with an update/upgrade of the Tails system? Which version of Tails is on your USB?

--
Regards,
Teqleez