Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-project] boot tails iso with grub

Author: intrigeri
To: linux-service, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-project] boot tails iso with grub
Hi,

linux-service:
> I am no export, but using this now:

> curl -s
> "https://tails.boum.org/install/v2/Tails/amd64/stable/latest.json" | jq
> . | awk -F'"' '{ for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) { if($i ~ /^http/) print $i } } '

> but it is no pure jq

I'm afraid we're running in circles :/ I'm sorry about that.

First, I'll reiterate: I appreciate that you're trying to ship Tails
on these computers. Thank you!

Now, let's take a step back. This thread started with you essentially
asking essentially "is it safe to ship this modified Tails and its
home-made upgrade system?". So far the discussion has been:

1. answering "it could probably be made safe if you do this and that,
but in the current state of things, it's not OK to call this Tails".
But quite some bits of "this and that" are not implemented.

2. asking you more info that I need to answer your question
meaningfully. Some of the first batch of questions I've asked in
October have not been answered yet.

Since installing and running Tails on an internal hard drive is not
supported yet, safely ship something that can be called "Tails" on
these computers requires non-trivial software development, UX design
and tech writing work, and only so the basics are covered and users'
expectations match what you're actually providing (not even aiming at
providing a full-fledged Tails experience).

I'll be honest with you: at this point of the process, I'm not
confident at all that you'll manage to find/allocate the resources
needed to do all this work.

And I don't think it makes sense for Tails, as a project, to invest
much in doing this work ourselves. I'd much rather see us work on
making "installing and running Tails on an internal hard drive"
a first-class citizen: it would benefit much more people. I don't
expect this will happen shortly but it's good to know that it would
address most of the issues identified in the course of
this conversation.

So I would like to ask you to reconsider whether you are in a position
to get all the needed custom work done. And if not, it would be much
better to stop shipping
something-like-Tails-but-not-quite-but-that-still-pretends-to-be-Tails
on the internal hard drive. The good news is that there are many
other, much simpler & cheaper, ways to let your clients know about
Tails and more general privacy issues, for example:

- include a flyer promoting Tails and/or Tails stickers in the box
when you ship a computer

- give the default browser a home page explaining that private
browsing mode / incognito tabs are not that incognito, and pointing
to our website

- add a bookmark to our website in the default browser configuration

… and I'm sure a quick collective brainstorming would find many more
ideas :)