Re: [Tails-dev] Monero client on Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: Jim, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Monero client on Tails
Hi,

Jim via Tails-dev:
> Has the Tails development considered pre-installing the full Monero client onto the TAILS OS?

We did, but at the time no Monero client was available in Debian:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/14390
https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/15686
https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/13443

But now I see that the Monero *command-line* client is available in
Debian (including stretch-backports).

> It would make perfect send for Tails to come pre-installed with
> either the full Monero GUI client.

I see no Monero GUI in Debian so our reply on the aforementioned
tickets still applies: I don't think we should install a command-line
Monero with no GUI by default.

Still, if someone wants to work on Monero support in Tails, with
a target audience that's fine with the command line, next steps would
be to install the Monero client on Tails (apt install
monero/stretch-backports), test it, and figure out what it takes to
make it work fine.

Note that the package description reads:

Beware that full global transaction history (blockchain) is stored locally,
which may require very large amounts of disk space.
.
Disk space requirements (as of June 2018):
~40 gigabyte data, ~50 gigabyte on disk, growing ~2 gigabyte per month.
More info at <https://moneroblocks.info/stats/blockchain-growth>.

… which might not work well with Tails persistent volumes on USB sticks.