Re: [Tails-ux] June spreadsheet - Users queries, issues, de…

Author: sajolida
To: cy63113, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] June spreadsheet - Users queries, issues, demands and comments
tcy63113:
> Hi everyone

Hi Cybelle!

> I'm gathering issues, comments, demands, and suggestions from different
> sources like IRC channels, blog comments, Stack Exchange, Tor and Tails
> Reddit, RT, Facebook, and  Twitter.

Thanks a lot for doing that!

> You can see here the June
> spreadsheet link with issues, demands and comments of users:
> https://ethercalc.org/3nx3nx3injin

I'll quickly go through the list and comment on each issue.

> [...] having hard time to update Tails (any version).

We also know this from the user interviews that we have been doing lately:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/interviews/

We have plans (and funding) to further improve the installation process
and this will also improve a lot the experience when having to do manual
upgrades (when automatic upgrades are not possible for some reason):

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/usb_install_and_upgrade/usb_bootable_disk_image/

We also have plans (but no funding) to allow people to jump several
versions of Tails when upgrading:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/Endless_upgrades/#index3h1

A deeper solution would be to redesign our upgrade mechanism completely
but that would be a major endeavor.

> A constant
> query is "Can I run Tail on a VM?"

We have some doc about that:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization/index.en.html#index1h1

And searching for "tails vm" in DuckDuckGo leads to it.

1.
Can’t load proxy via tails

I don't understand this one. Can I see the original post?

2.
Is it safe to update Tor via Tails?

We have an FAQ about that: https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#upgrade

3.
Tails froze when tried to play .mp4 video file. The error is
'Unresponsive Script'='XStringBundle:18'. I got important data that
isn't saved, that's lost if I reboot Tails. I can't save it as Tails is
frozen. Mouse pointer is very unresponsible to moving my mouse. Tails
acts '“Unresponsive Script’='XStringBundle:18"

This could be a hardware problem or a bug in Totem. Can I see the
original post?

4.
I am running TAILS 3.2 and I try to upgrade to TOR 7.0.8 am able to
unpack the package. But when I try to run the TOR Browser Setup program,
I get an error message "unable to connect to tor control port.

Similar to #2.

5.
“A compromised local user can leak your IP by using a script to star
unsafe-browser hidden in the background and use X11 trickery to leak
your real IP without privilege escalation. Most applications exploited
on Tails would be capable of this. 'deleting
/etc/sudoers.d/zzz_unsafe-browser after booting will fix this issue
until Tails fixes it themselves”

We're already researching this in https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15635.

6.
Can I boot Tails from a external hard drive?

That's an interesting one!

If we want people to rely more on Tails it might be useful to some
people to install Tails on a hard disk instead of a USB stick, to have
more storage capacity, be faster, and more reliable.

I created a ticket to test and document that:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15742

7.
Is there a guide to setting persistant Tor browser settings within Tails
OS running within VirtualBox? The problem with many linux distros is
that they don't support 1.25 scaling. I'm running 1080p on a 15 inch
device on which 125% scaling looks perfect. Since Tails doesn't have any
scaling option at all, I'm scaling only Tor browser & I want it to
persist across sessions.

I don't understand what they mean by "scaling". Can I see the original post?

8.
What is the difference between normal mode and recovery mode?

I bet they mean the Troubleshooting Mode. We explain this in our doc:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/

9.
Tor-browser doesn’t launch in Tails 2.7

Tails 2.7 dates back from November 2016!!!

10.
After running tails for several years, it seems this persistent has
gotten corrupted. I run the latest version of tails and my USB is doing
fine. I can run tails without persistence but when I try to open it it
makes the CPU crash.

It's
https://www.reddit.com/r/tails/comments/8tax3q/tails_persistent_corrupted_100usd_bounty/.
I guess their USB stick died after years...

We really want to have backups for Tails but that won't be easy:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/backups/

11.
Unable to open MyEthWallet after saving it to the persist. It looks like
there is an issue with the javascript as it only loads the HTML part.
'Related to https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24243

This will be fixed in Tails 3.9.

12.
Upgraded to 3.7.1., restarted but I can't get passed the loading screen
I've to perform a manual upgrade (v. 3.5 to 3.7.1) and when i use the
tails installer i get the following message: ''NoneType' object has no
attribute 'props''.

Interesting! Can I see the original post?

13.
Bootable Tails USB flash drive is not detected on Windows 10

We have some work in progress to explain how to disable secure boot:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15016

14.
Running Whonix inside of Tails would create Tor over Tor? What if you
were running a VPN on Tails, then you would have Tor>VPN>Tor, right? And
depending on where/how you installed a VPN on Whonix, you would have
Tor>VPN>Tor>VPN or Tor>VPN>VPN>Tor

Nah... :(

15.
Tails 3.7 Debug or a high level of logging still present in
/var/log/tor/log - when using obf4 (or whatever) bridges. This is a
reminder that this problem continues to exist in Tails 3.7 (and several
versions prior). The logging is crazy and consumes several MB per
session. "warn Your log may contain sensitive information - you're
logging more than "notice". Don't log unless it serves an important
reason. Overwrite the log afterwards.”

Interesting! I created a ticket to check that:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15743

NB: A lot of these comments seems to be from power users who try to do
crazy stuff. It's interesting but not necessarily the kind of users that
I personally want to spend the most time on.

--
sajolida