Re: [Tails-l10n] [Tails-dev] Please test pre-commit hook for…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, hefee, Tails localization discussion, tails it, tails-l10n-pt-br
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [Tails-dev] Please test pre-commit hook for po files
u:
> sajolida:
>> u:
>> Then I did a dummy change to index.es.po and tried to commit it.
>>
>> I got the following:
>>
>>     Project-Id-Version header is not empty for following files:
>>     wiki/src/index.es.po

>>     The po files you're trying to commit contain errors. Please fix them and try again.

>> Which make me believe that you didn't run your new PO file validator on all the current PO files.
>
> Absolutely, as said in my email, we did not do that yet and we'll do it
> once people have tested it and we are ready to merge. At least that was
> the initial plan.

Indeed I missed that in your original email.

>> If you're adding validity checks to our current PO files it would be nice to also make them comply
>> with them, otherwise:
>>
>> - Translators (and mergers) will have to fix them one by one
>
> So, would you suggest we do that on master right now? Or should we
> instead wait for more comments before making such a modification?

Another option would be to fix all the PO files in
translation_platform_hooks. This way people who test your branch will
work on a checkout that's already compatible with your new validation rules.

>> - Ikiwiki on the production server might not be able to do the automatic "Update PO files"
>
> ikiwiki on the production server is currently not impacted by this hook
> and we are aware that we will have to fix this, but it'll happen at a
> later stage.

Ok.

And I guess you also checked (or have a plan so) that the "Update PO
files" of ikiwiki on the production server are compatible with your new
validation rules, right?

>> I'm also curious about what `git submodule update --init` does. Are you using submodules for that?
>> I'm asking out of curiosity because I don't know much about submodules but I couldn't find spot what
>> is specific to your work under .git/modules/submodules.
>
> check_po.sh lives in a submodule and we have updated this script in a
> branch of the same name. So people need to update - at least in case
> they've never checked out the repository. I'm not 100% sure it's needed
> in the case you have checked out the submodules, but I've put it in the
> instructions to be sure.

Ah! Now I see this commit:

commit 53203d6f06