[Tails-project] Report: CryptoRave 2018

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-project
Subject: [Tails-project] Report: CryptoRave 2018
Hi,

this is my report from CryptoRave 2018.

It was a great event and the venue was amazing: lots of outside space,
less noisy talk rooms, and a very diverse set of attendees like
last year.

We've been organizing the Tails + Tor presence there well in advance
with a bunch of people (mostly on the tor global-south list and IRC
chan + one IRC meeting + some in-person discussion at the Tor meeting
in Roma) which resulted in a number of Tails/Tor -related events:

https://gus.computer/blog/2018/04/29/atividades-tor-maio/

Isabela gave a great keynote, other people gave introduction talks to
Tails and Tor, there has been a Tails install party, and finally
Antonela, Isabela and I have hosted a Tails & Tor users meetup that's
got reported about there:

https://blog.torproject.org/tor-tails-ux-identifying-user-needs-cryptorave-2018

(I'll report about the output of this last session separately.)

A couple days after CryptoRave a Tor event was organized elsewhere,
with some talks and user testing.

I've attended most of these events; the fact I'm not speaking pt-BR
obviously limited a little bit my ability to participate actively but
nice people have translated for me everything I needed (thanks!).
Apart of running the users meetup I've been useful mostly to answer
a few technical questions here and there during the talks Q&A section,
to discuss various usability matters and local use cases in person
with quite some people, to start building bridges with security
trainers who want to add Tails to their curriculum, and to reaffirm
our interest in listening to and supporting users in Brazil.

It's not clear to me if I should attend this event next year again:
there's now a strong set of local people who are able and willing to
run Tails events there… and they speak the local language. So one way
to see it is that my outreach mission has succeeded and I should
consider switching my focus to another place. OTOH it might be too
early to jump to that conclusion: it might be that my attendance and
involvement in the organization was a useful catalyst that helped
motivate people to run Tails/Tor events there. We'll see how it goes
next year when it's time to start organizing the Tails/Tor
presence there.

If you want details about any of the above, just ask :)