[Tails-dev] What is the status and license of MAT?

Author: Chris Marusich
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] What is the status and license of MAT?
Hi Tails developers!

I'm packaging MAT 0.6.1 [1] for GNU Guix [2], and I have some questions.
To ensure that I receive your replies, please keep me in the Cc list
when replying, since I'm not subscribed to the tails-dev@??? list.

I've noticed that this release's LICENSE file contains the text of
version 2 of the GNU GPL. However, it isn't clear if the software is
available under "just the GPLv2", or "the GPLv2 or any later version".
Can you clarify which of these is the intended interpretation? For this
purpose, it would be helpful if the MAT source files contained the GPL
header explicitly, as suggested in the section titled "How to Apply
These Terms to Your New Programs" in LICENSE file.

I've also noticed that MAT's website displays the following notice:

Current status

The MAT maintenance and development is currently on hold, mostly for
health reasons. I might go back to it at some point in the future.

The current version might have bugs, and doesn't work on Python3:
Please avoid using it.

What is the current status of MAT? Is it still being developed? Do you
still believe that users should avoid using it, and if so, why?

Thank you for making MAT, and for making it free software. And thank
you in advance for your help in answering these questions!

Footnotes:
[1] https://mat.boum.org/

[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

--