[Tails-ux] Improving communication & transparency wrt. our c…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-project
CC: Tails developers, tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Improving communication & transparency wrt. our core teams' priorities
Hi!

[please honor Reply-To and reply to tails-project@ only]

So far it's been rather opaque what the priorities of our [core work]
are (be it paid or done on a volunteer basis). This comes with a few
major issues:

* everyone else has little visibility on what core workers are doing
& their priorities;

* everyone else has little power over setting these priorities;

* core workers don't get much help defining their priorities, i.e.
they sometimes have a hard time deciding by themselves how they
should spend their time on what matters the most to the project.

So, as an experiment, some of our Core teams have set things up in
Redmine to make their priorities more visible: in the Redmine sidebar,
you'll see a bunch of views whose name starts with "Core work". E.g.
https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=257
shows what the [foundations team] wants to achieve in 2017Q3.

At this point we're not setting up any process to collectively define
these priorities: one step at a time. Some of these will be set by the
teams themselves, some others will be set during meetings with other
teams (e.g. the Foundation Team will work with our Help Desk to set
theirs).

But we'll be more than happy to get feedback about these priorities:
both addition and removal suggestions are welcome. Please check the
mission statement for the corresponding team first, to ensure you're
not asking them to do something that's outside of the scope of their
job. And please justify your suggestions. Please check these views
once in a while and talk to us! :)

[core work] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/roles/
[foundations team] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/roles/foundations_team/