[Tails-dev] About SquashFS default compression setting

Author: Arnaud
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] About SquashFS default compression setting
Dear Tails,

this is just a detail I'd like to discuss.

When I did my first Tails build a while ago, I didn't specify any
SquashFS compression setting. So I expected the compression to be the
default. And amazingly, there's a setting called 'defaultcomp', which
correspond to xz compression. So I was a bit surprised to see in the
logs that I ended up with gzip compression instead.

What I'm trying to say is that, from the point of view of the person who
builds Tails, there's no 'default' compression. The compression is
automatically chosen by the build system: xz for release, gzip otherwise
(tell me if I'm mistaken).

So I think it's a bit misleading to have a setting named 'defaultcomp',
and it would be better named 'xzcomp'.

What do you think ? I can open an issue and provide a patch if you agree
with me.

Cheers !