Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX

Author: kurono
To: sajolida, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
On 03/14/2017 06:55 PM, sajolida wrote:

> I did that in #12344. If you don't mind reviewing it.

Done, check the ticket.

> Indeed. Before I tried with 'tails-installer' which fails.

ok.

> I'm fine with that. I rewrote a bit the message with 11ebad8.
>
> Also, since we're there, what about allowing the user to select the ISO
> image from this dialog to be more forgiving?
>
> It would allow her to solve the problem directly from the error message
> and avoid her to have to go back to the main window and figure out what
> this is referring to.
>
> What about, instead of having only an "Ok" button, having:
>
>     [Cancel] [Select ISO image...]

> But that's optional and you can create a ticket to do that later on if
> you prefer.

I have created Feature #12435 to track this request.

> Some more remarks:
>
> 1. If I start Tails Installer without a target USB stick and then plug
> it in, the interface gets widely resized. It not a serious problem but
> looks unpolished. See before.png and after.png.
>
> Also, the description of the USB stick in the main window and in the
> confirmation dialog is different. See confirm.png. I prefer the one in
> the confirmation dialog because it is shorter while still having all the
> necessary info (vendor, size, and model) but without the long number
> that is displayed in the main window. Maybe getting rid of the long
> number in the main window would also help solving the resizing issue.
> What do you think?

ok cool, I have left the same short message for both cases.

> 2. By default the file selector is too small to display the full name of
> the ISO image and only displays "tails-...".
>
> If I am playing with different versions (for example when upgrading) I
> would like to have some feedback from the main window about the ISO
> image that I selected.
>
> Would it work to make the file selector wide enough to handle our usual
> filename length: ~22 characters for "tails-archh-x.yy.z.iso"?

I have established a fixed length for the ISO label.

> 3. In the confirmation dialog before installation or upgrade, I would
> love to have, instead of the [No] [Yes] buttons:
>
>     [Cancel] [Install]

> or
>
>     [Cancel] [Upgrade]

> I'm myself always a bit scared when upgrading a Tails USB stick and this
> would be reassuring (even if we're already solving this problem is other
> ways with the rest of your work).

I have assigned Feature #11501 to me.

> 4. Would it be easy to fix the minor alignment issues on the right,
> especially with the links? See alignment.png. Otherwise forget it :)

I couldn't find how to do it :P

> 5. Would it be possible to display "The persistent storage on this USB
> stick will be preserved." only if there actually is a persistent
> storage? But if that requires tweaking the backend we can create a
> ticket to do that later on.

Done.

> 6. If I plug two USB sticks, one with Tails and one without, and switch
> from Upgrade to Install and then back to Upgrade, then the Reinstall
> link disappears.

Fixed.

> 7. I rephrase the confirmation dialog quite a bit with e1908d0. Tell me
> what you thing. Especially since I'm tweaking Gtk a bit to display an
> empty new line. I don't know if that's good or if it's the proper way to
> do that.

It looks fine to me.

> But hey, we're almost there and I'm really excited to see this finally
> tackled in Tails Installer which is pretty much the first piece of
> software our users have to interact with. Good job!

Great :D