[Tails-project] Fwd: [Secure Desktops] "Secure" OS meeting?

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-project
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-project] Fwd: [Secure Desktops] "Secure" OS meeting?
Subject: [Tails-project] Fwd: [Secure Desktops] "Secure" OS meeting?
Hi,

We've discussed the idea described in the forwarded email again during
the latest Tor dev meeting, and what seemed to work best for everyone
present was to have this meeting during the northern-hemisphere
autumn, 2017, in a southern Europe city where Gunner can easily
handle logistics.

Next step is that each project builds a list of their people who
should be there, and then we'll subscribe them to a private mailing
list where the details will be fine-tuned.

So, who wants to attend? (We might end up having to limit how many
people we send, so don't hesitate writing a few words about why
you're interested and what you want to bring there.)

I do want to attend. As one of the Tails people who's been working on
cross-distro collaboration for a while, I'm interested in all the
aspects I mentioned when I initially proposed this meeting. I would
like my team-mate anonym to handle the code sharing part, so I can
focus myself on building common plans for the future of this crowded
landscape, and on building bridges between developers and UX people.

Hi!

The idea of bringing (at least) Qubes OS, Subgraph OS and Tails people
together for a few days has been floating around since it was
suggested last year at IFF. A few of us discussed it in person last
week again, and since then I've talked to Gunner (Aspiration Tech)
about logistics.

As I see it, such an event could be a great opportunity to:

* Get to know each other better, which can smooth
future collaboration.
* Share about the problems we face (both technical and organizational
ones).
* Share our plans for the future; in particular how much we
can/should be complementary; what will all this look like 5 years
from now? For example: What will be Qubes OS' target user base in
2-5 years from now? How best to serve the current Tails' user base?
How best to serve those who cannot switch to Qubes-Whonix, e.g.
due to hardware requirements?
* Discuss how to better collaborate, and to actually hack together on
sharing code / integrating some of our tools and projects with
each other.
* Invite a few people from upstreams and related projects, such as
Debian, GNOME and devops / automated testing people, who can
provide useful input… and be excited by the great work we're doing.

Is there interest in creating such an event and making it great?
I suggest we discuss this with our own teams and report back here.

Gunner is up to handle the logistics, assuming we get OTF funding for
the event. His team would take care of organizing (sponsored) travel,
meeting location and accommodation, plus they would help us organize
the content of the event. Their preferred locations would be
Amsterdam, Barcelona and Berlin.

When we discussed this last week, one question raised was whether we
should have this event a) shortly before/after another one that some
of us want to attend anyway (e.g. Tor dev meeting), in order to lower
the amount of times we travel; or b) at a different time, to lower the
duration of our individual trips. I personally have no strong
preference. Have you any?

Regarding "when": would March-May 2017 be good for you?

Regarding the duration & format: Gunner & I thought that 2 days of
meeting (hosted by himself) followed by 2-3 days of hacking would be
good. Thoughts?