Re: [Tails-project] Report: Tor dev meeting, 2017-03

Author: anonym
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Report: Tor dev meeting, 2017-03
Hi,

I'm notoriously bad at making events like these into something productive, so I'll fittingly present my report as, essentially, a few anecdotes added to intrigeri's. :)

intrigeri:
> * anonym lead a session about our test suite. I expect he'll tell you
> more in his own report.

It wasn't so great; I had hoped some other "secure OS" people would attend in hopes of possible looking at how they could reuse it, but they didn't. In the end I got a few interesting inputs from nickm so it wasn't for nothing! :)

> * Had a nice conversation about "secure" operating systems with Joanna
> from Qubes OS, Ola Bini, Patrick from Whonix, and 3 other Tails
> people. As a result #12403 was filed and integration work done
> there, and some (vague) longer-term plans drawn. The idea of having
> a meeting + hacking time gathering desktop "secure" OS:es was
> revived (tentatively: autumn 2017, southern Europe). sajolida will
> follow-up on this.

I'd just like to add a "feeling" I got, namely that it seemed that we all haf surprisingly similar thoughts in the future of our projects. :)

--

* I discusses the future of onion-grater/tor-controlport-filter with Patrick (from Whonix) quite a bit, making progress on #12179. He wants to maintain a Debian package of it, so it seems like we'll collaborate quite a bit here.

* I discussed Tor ControlPort filtering in general (what is the threat model any way?) with nickm, and this prompted him to start a discussion on tor-dev@ which I have yet to respond to: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-April/012141.html

Cheers!