Re: [Tails-dev] Debian 9: Build fails consistently, name re…

Author: Arnaud
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Debian 9: Build fails consistently, name resolution fails sooner or later

On 04/04/2017 12:45 PM, anonym wrote:
> I don't know what you mean with "Tor download" -- the build system itself doesn't run or use tor.

I was talking about the tor browser that is downloaded in
`config/chroot_local-hooks/10-tbb`, through a series of `curl` commands.
This part takes forever to complete. I didn't notice that it was cached
as well.

> Any way, the "offline" option is supposed to enable a true offline building mode, and if a build fails due to lack of Internet access, that is a bug. It relies on all interactions with the Internet being done with applications that respect the http_proxy environment variable (which points to apt-cacher-ng, which is configured to allow downloading and caching more than just .deb:s). Specifically, `wget` respects http_proxy, and apparently so do all the various mechanisms used to fetch firmwares and other files in the post-install scripts of all .deb:s Tails uses.

Ok, I guess I just have to try it, I'll see how it goes and will let you
know if anything bad happens.

> If you know C, perhaps you'd want to look into implementing (optional) download retrying in apt-cacher-ng? That would, of course, be the best solution.

I'm comfortable with C, but not comfortable at all with these network
and proxy things ;) But it's nice that you point me in the right
direction. At least I know where to look next.

Cheers.