Re: [Tails-dev] Debian 9: Build fails consistently, name re…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Debian 9: Build fails consistently, name resolution fails sooner or later
segfault:
> Arnaud:
>> The failure doesn't always happen at the same point of the build. At
>> first, I thought it was related to `apt`, but I also experienced in
>> failure on a `curl` command (when downloading Tor Browser, in
>> `config/chroot_local-hooks/10-tbb`). I don't have the log anymore, but
>> it was also a name resolution failure.
>
> I too experienced build failures during
> `config/chroot_local-hooks/10-tbb`. It turned out to be caused by
> insufficient memory, of which I had 8 GB RAM (some took by the gnome
> session and system services) plus 8 GB swap. I could build successfully
> after increasing swap to 16 GB.

Interesting! We try to make sure that RAM builds can start only if enough RAM is available, but I guess there could be edge cases when close to the minimal amount.

Arnaud, how much RAM does your host system have, and which TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS do you use? Also, please try adding `noram` to TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS (but first make sure the VM is shut down, e.b. `rake vm:halt`).

Cheers!