[Tails-ux] New Greeter: need clarification of what the "Form…

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: need clarification of what the "Formats" option should do
Hi,

> "Formats" and "Language" are correlated

They are, and already bucketed for us:
wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_writing_systems

> Also, note that we did not look at how other
> operating systems do it.
> It may be helpful if someone did :)

I am not aware of an interface that functions like Tails Greeter.
Please share links (:

> 1. "Formats" affects time/date formats (Current
>    implementation)

'Formats', in its current reduced form having no verbose date/unit/etc
options like Windows, should affect all format types, since it is not
explicitly specified that it doesn't.

> 2. "Formats" does not affect time/date formats

Without more fine-grained control over the other format types, people
will not know what format types are changed. Further explanation will
be required as to why 'Formats' does not change the time and date format
types.

> 3. Only allow "Formats" that match the chosen language

This language character grouping seems quite suitable given the writing
system collisions in option #1.

Otherwise, explanation of the technical limitation of the language
writing systems will be required.

> 4. Remove the "Formats" option entirely

If the designation is going to be rushed, further consideration is
preferable.

> 5. "Formats" does not affect time/date formats,
> plus allow choosing the calendar format in the
> GNOME settings

Same logic/usability flaws as #2. I am unsure of the limitations of
changing greeter set setting inside the GNOME DE, seems they don't work.

Communicating what can and can't be changed is the major issue here.
All settings that are visible inside GNOME once Tails is started should
be directly editable. I presume all the things formats are used for
exist in this capacity.

> what shall we do?

  + Align with GNOME *and* auto-refine 'Format' options
    by writing systems with language selection. (#3)

and/or

+ Remove 'Formats' (#4)

In order of preference:

over #4
over #1

#2 & #5 break the interface logic and expected mental model mirrored in
other systems (#1) while #3 fixes the bug in #1.

Wordlife,
Spencer