Re: [Tails-project] Request for comments: Tails social contr…

Author: sajolida
New-Topics: [Tails-project] Adopting the social contract Re: Request for comments: Tails social contract
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Request for comments: Tails social contract
spriver:
> Hello,
>
> the Tails Project wants to have a social contract similar to projects
> like the Tor Project [1] and Debian [2]. As a first proposal to make it
> happen a blueprint was created, which can be found on our website [3].
> Please note that this is only a first draft. There is also a
> corresponding ticket #11669 in our issue tracker [4].
>
> Now we want your help and want to hear your opinion: feel free to
> comment and/or edit the draft, be encouraged to discuss it on the ticket
> or as an answer to this mail. Thanks!

Woh! So cool that you're working on this!

Here are some comments, on top of a5ee62c86d.

- In "By developing Tails and publishing related documentation": "and
publishing related documentation" sounds like an addendum and I wonder
if 1. "documentation" is the only "non-developing" work that we do., 2.
we could find a more generic phrasing to make the whole sentence
shorter. Maybe "By working on Tails"? or "By creating Tails". And, as a
doc writer, I already feel myself included in "By developing Tails".

- "advance these concepts.": intrigeri didn't like "rights" but now I
feel like "concepts" is too neutral. What about "ideals"? or "principles"?

- "the tools we write and deploy," → "the tools we create" could be
shorter and less code-centric, no?

- "2. Tails and the related documentation". same, I'm not sure doc is
worth the periphrasis.

- "do our best to write secure code", this time I feel like this is a
bit too code-centric. Usability issues can also lead to insecure tools.
And I'm not sure to understand what "and make the right decisions."
refers to (on top of "do our best to"). So maybe this could be changed
to "We will always do our best to create secure and usable tools."?

- How does this document relate to the Code of Conduct? Should there be
cross-references between the two? Maybe in "4. We encourage
participation and transparency"? I don't mind proposing a wording if you
think it's a good idea.

Most of this is nitpicking, so feel free to take whatever you want and
silently ignore the rest :)