Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-testers] Request for JavaFX on Tails …

Author: Collin Sullivan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Tails-testers] Request for JavaFX on Tails 3.0
Hello hello,

>>> I'll assume that the package Martus needs is either
>>> libopenjfx-java or libopenjfx-jni.

When I tested this, it appeared that both were required for openjfx to
run. Marking either for removal also marked openjfx for removal.

> OK, please let us know once you have the exact list of dependencies
> missing in Tails.

I've managed to get Martus up and running after installing via Synaptic:

+ openjfx
+ libopenjfx-java
+ libopenjfx-jni

And nothing else.

> I suggest you look into this using a Tails experimental ISO based
> on Debian Stretch:
>
> https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-stretch/lastSuc

cessful/archive/build-artifacts/

Ah,

thanks. I missed this and was testing with the vanilla Tails 3.0
beta 1, and was able to get Martus to run and do all of the important
things (create records, connect and backup to the server, perform
searches, etc.). Let me know if you think it worth testing with
nightly, too.

>> 2) I could look again, but the libraries we need (I think) were
>> not available in the Tails default repositories, so we needed to
>> add new ones. That's another step for the user.
>
> I expect this might have been fixed with Tails 2.x, or will be in
> 3.x. But you may want to double-check :)

I did have to add the stretch tester repository to Synaptic, as I did
not find any of those libraries in the included/default repos.

>> 3) The less our partners/users need to use root / su / sudo, the
>> better. Both for security and ease of use.
>
> Absolutely, especially if command line is involved. This drawback
> will be alleviated once there's a GUI to configure additional
> software (I'm pretty sure it'll still require an administration
> password for the initial setup, but at least there will be fewer
> steps that require command line usage, and they will be required
> by your custom stuff rather than by Tails limitations).

Cool. I'm also imagining that, if Tails were to ship with Martus,
Martus might be included as part of the Persistence setup itself -- at
the step where the user chooses which applications to configure to
save to persistence (keyrings, Pidgin contacts, printers, etc etc
etc), they could also select Martus.

One intangible of having Martus ship with Tails is that it sort of
gets the Tails Seal of Approval. Tails is known to take its security
and privacy seriously, and I've observed people making the assumption
that, if something is included in Tails, it's as if the devs are
recommending it, so they trust it a bit more. Coaching users on how to
add non-Tails software to Tails is a bit risky (lest they add other,
non-recommended applications), and removes a bit of that sheen, as it
were.

Anyway, a bit of positive movement on the testing side, and it sounds
like some of the Tails team will be at IFF next week. Happy to talk
more about this stuff there!

Cheers,
Collin

- --
Collin Sullivan
Human Rights Outreach Associate
Benetech Human Rights Program

Email: collin.s@???
GPG: 0x35F83A6678657D4D
XMPP: collin.sullivan@???
OTR: A0946621 68E641FA 4DFBF9F0 10B20AA9 88601348
11C7957D 5A99DAF7 1D0DD4BC EE243287 943AD67A

Twitter: @MartusProject

https://www.benetech.org - Technology Serving Humanity
https://www.martus.org - Martus Human Rights Bulletin System