[Tails-ux] Please upgrade to Tails 3.0~beta1 for daily usage

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-ux, Tails developers, tails-support-private, tails-l10n
Subject: [Tails-ux] Please upgrade to Tails 3.0~beta1 for daily usage
Dear Tails contributors,

I need your help!

[Sorry for exceptionally cross-posting this widely. Any reply should
go to tails-testers@??? only.]

Tails 3.0~beta1 was just published. From now on, we will provide
security support for the 3.0 series, just like we do for (2.x) stable
versions of Tails. It will also have automatic updates, whenever it's
feasible. Tempting, uh?

According to our automated test suite, this first beta release works
pretty well :) This test suite reasonably ensures that this version is
safe to use, but no doubt there are some undiscovered issues left.

The usual narrative, that we've seen e.g. for the upgrades to Wheezy
and Jessie, is the following. Exploratory testing will find some of
these issues; but it will also miss a number of problems, that will
make their way into 3.0, and will only be discovered once Tails 3.0 is
out… as soon as enough people start using it every day.

This kind of works, but frankly I've found this quite frustrating in
the past. So I propose that we change this narrative a bit this time,
and try to do better: how about we, Tails contributors, start using
the 3.0 series for our daily usage *now*?

I'm upgrading my Tails systems today. See you on
https://tails.boum.org/news/test_3.0-beta1/ :)