Re: [mat-dev] Maintainership for MAT

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Maintainership for MAT
Hi,

Christian Pietsch:
> Hi Dennis,
> your background is lovely

Yes! Dennis has also been hosting a Tails mirror for a while, that's
been fast and reliable enough to be included in our fallback DNS round
robin pool (that's used for downloads in some corner cases, and needs
to be rock solid).

> I believe everyone would feel better if the new maintainer of this
> project first submitted a patch or two to the interim maintainer
> (Julien).

I think that Julien made it very clear he is not in a position to be
the maintainer anymore, so I don't think this can work as-is.

But I see great value in your proposal, in that there can be a trust
building process. I volunteer to be the gatekeeper for a while, i.e.:

* Dennis starts acting as the maintainer today. This includes
preparing releases and web site updates. The only things he can't
do yet by himself is signing releases, and pushing changes to the
code or to the website directly.

* I merge changes authored by other contributors, once Dennis has
reviewed and approved them. I also merge changes authored by
Dennis, after someone else has reviewed it (I'd rather not be this
"someone else" so I'll leave room for others to chime in).
Of course, in both cases I'll still have a quick look at the diff
before merging.

* I will *not* do any maintenance work myself.

What do you all think? (This obviously needs Julien's approval, but
I'd like to hear from other people as well :)

> I would love to see a patch that brings back PDF support, […]

I'd rather have this discussion on the relevant ticket:

https://0xacab.org/mat/mat/issues/11067

… or in a dedicated email thread :)

Cheers!