Re: [Tails-dev] mac encapsulation routing

Author: intrigeri
To: h Jansen
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] mac encapsulation routing
Hi,

h Jansen:
> just a few month ago, my isp started to work with mac encapsulation routing.
> Mac encapsulation routing means that in every datastream my mac adress
> is included.

> Using my own router wasn't possible anymore.

> only when i transported the mac adress of the new router to my own
> router, its was possible to get an ip adress.

So, my understanding is that the MAC address assigned to your router's
WAN interface will be part of the network communication with your ISP.
Right?

> Since mac encapsulation routing is an extra layer in the datastream, i
> ask mysellf, if it make sence to use tails.

Assuming you are running Tails behind the aforementioned router,
the MAC address of the system running Tails will be part of the
network communication with your own router (business as usual);
but it won't be relayed to your ISP.

> So basically the question is if my mac adress stays in the datastream
> through every relay.

I don't think so: the MAC address is part of the Ethernet
encapsulation layer, that's dropped by the router (and replaced with
whatever encapsulation is needed on the other side).